2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Can anyone help me? Eclipse RS 1995

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Default Can anyone help me? Eclipse RS 1995

Hello,
I had the posting here before but it got deleted so I am copying it here with a new upadate that follows the old one.Some time ago, I started having troubles with my RPM and starting the car. The check engine light was one so I went to get the code that showed it was EGR system. SO I had changed the whole sytem, solenoid and cleaned all the hoses. Few days later, the light was off. Unfortunately, I still had the same problems, even though it was not very often. Lets say 3 times a week mostly in the morning. I couldn't start the car but when I turned AC and radio off, it usually helped. SOmetimes, when it did not help, I had drive with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas. Then it was fine for rest of the day. Well today, I was going out in the morning and could not start. Then I was going the usual way using both feet. After some time the car started jerking like there was not enough of gas. When I wanted to go faster it was doing more so I had to drive very slow. Then when I stopped on the red light, the RPM went crazy, I could not drive fast and when took my foot off gas it just died. I took it to the nearest carshop. The engine light was on again and showed a code for Map sensor and Oxygen sensor. They said they cannot fix it because they were not able to get the parts. I left my car on the nearest McDonalds because it was kind of dangerous to drive. The car was going nuts. Now, I ordered the map sensor in Advance Auto Parts and will have tomorrow morning. Just want to know if the situation really caused the map sensor if there might be something else. What do you think?

I had very busy weeks behind me. I bought the map sensor just to found out, that it was not the one I needed. I have Eclipse 95 and everywhere you look for the map sensor, it shows you the different one. I am not sure why. After 4 days of looking, browsing internet and calling, I found the right one and waited for it to come. I was surprised since the car was driving well. RPM was low but OK and I started the car on the first try. I got it last weeke on Friday so I changed on Saturday and the car was like new. It was so alive and driving so good. Well, not for long time since it started dying again. There are times I start it without a problem but then it does not start and I have to have my foot on gas even while driving. After 30 mins of driving, it is OK but when I stop and want to start again, it just dies. Today, it was OK.
I had my fuel and oil filters changed, the map sensor is new, new egr valve and solenoid, ecu checked. The only thing that is not replaced yet is oxygen sensor 2 but it should not be doing that. What about "autochoke"?
I just wish anyone would know what is wrong with it

Old 09-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Can anyone help me? Eclipse RS 1995

sounds like a cam or crank sensor just for the fact that when the motor is cold the they sould up the rpm and in some cars the timing. this is known as teh cold crank sensor but there is only the crank and cam sensor in the car. is the cel still coming on? if so take it to autozone, napa, etc and have the get a error code try going to mutipule stores and see if they all pull the same code. than look the code up or call teh dealer to see what the code means if you already did this try it once more and see if you are getting a differant or same code.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:16 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Check Engine light doesn't come on anymore.
Autozone is my plan for tomorrow.
What is the crank sensor?

Old 09-20-2005, 09:07 PM

I would say replace the o2 sensor but chances are its not the o2 sensor with the map out it was proly running a bit lean causing the o2 sensor to throw a flag up for a lean condition, but it never hurts to check

Old 09-21-2005, 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: katushkacz

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the Check Engine light doesn't come on anymore.
Autozone is my plan for tomorrow.
What is the crank sensor?
its a timing device for the computer it tells the ecu where the crank this effects fuel air mix as well as alot of other systems. so basicly it tells the computer where the crank is in the stroke rpm whatever you wanna call it the camp pos sensor tells the car where the cam is in its rotation so its a combined effort to tell the ecu what to do and when to do it.