Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

can anyone help? stalling, trembling

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Default can anyone help? stalling, trembling

I posted the following on another form site, but it looks like like the only advice i've gotten so far is that it may be my ECU, take my car to mitsubishi certified technician from now on, and that the belt can be readjusted if things continue to squeal.

If my problem is the ECU, does anyone know how long it takes to "relearn"? The guys at the shop insist this is the problem and said they had to disconnect the battery to do the maintenance. But they didn't say much more than that and said if the problem continues to let them know. I guess I can wait a few more days (it's been 2 so far) but i'm not sure how much longer i should wait for two reasons. I don't know how long a reasonable wait period is because I don't know how long an ECU takes to relearn. Second, I'm concerned about what damage I may be doing to my car while i continue to drive this way (I put about 60-80 miles on my car each day).

My original post is as follows:
Folks, here's my dilemma. My car was running wonderfully. I have a 2002 Galant ES that I bought used in 2003 with under 35k miles. The only problem I've ever had with it is a sticky starter. I've always taken care to keep up on my maintenance obviously to prevent problems. So, yesterday I brought my car to a shop to get the timing belt changed. It was still the original belt and I had reached 82.5k miles on the car (in previous maintenance checks i was told i could probably go to 90k on the timing belt).
I asked them to let me know what else needed to be replaced since I had not needed to replace anything on my car since buying except for my brakes. In addition to the wheel rotation, alignment, oil and air filter change, they suggested taking care of the water pump, the balance belt, upper and lower radiator hose and two serpentine belts. I suppose some of these belt changes go hand in hand with a timing belt change. I feel like i can trust these guys and they charge a fair price for work done. What do you think? They said putting back in the old pump may create problems because once it's taken out of the car to replace the belts it may not fit snuggly back in. As for hoses they just said they were getting old.
Well I went ahead with it because I didn't want anything to happen to my car. But of course, after the repairs my car now has problems that I've never had before. My engine sounds a little deeper and louder than I'm used to. And now it shakes and trembles a little when I drive and a lot when I sit idle. In the past 30 hours I must have stalled out 7 or 8 times. I hear a squealing sound now when I press the gas (not every time though). I brought it back to the autoshop this morning and they said that they should have warned me but when this type of work is done they had to cut the power which reset the 'computer' (i assume they are refering to the OBD since all my warning lights come on when i stall). I this normal? They said it would take a while for the computer to relearn how to accelerate and sit idle which is why my car is stalling out and trembling. As for the squealing and the louder engine they didn't think there was anything wrong. If this is "normal" how long do i have until my car runs like it used to?

Old 06-10-2006, 12:47 AM
Banned
Default RE: can anyone help? stalling, trembling

thats real real odd. Is the timing off?

Old 06-11-2006, 03:44 AM

not sure...how can i tell? I'd hope they wouldn't give back my car with the timing off...especially after going back there the next day with all these symptoms. if i take this to someone else and they fix the problem do any of you think i'd have recourse against the first mechanic to get my money back? At least for the labor?

Old 06-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Banned

In order to tell if the timing is off you would have to have someone inspect it. Maybe a hose was not connected correctly... in the wrong place or loose possibly?!?!?!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Default I have similar problem

Did this ever get resolved