Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   Car is dying again! Help. (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/car-dying-again-help-24572/)

dorian7 01-09-2008 08:55 PM

Car is dying again! Help.

Ok so I just replaced the coolant temp sensor which fixed my check engine light problem but now I have a new one. I was driving down the road and all of a sudden when I put my clutch in the car would eaither die or die for a sec and then come back (I guess after it warmed up). It was really weird. I recently installed a Evo 3 16G but I drove 160 miles since then and didn't have this problem. All of a sudden it just came up. I checked the hoses for boost leak (since I took off the Upper IC hose to install the sensor) but it seemed tight and once the car starts back up it idles smooth and fine. It is weird. I noticed it I sit there and rev the engine the rpms shoot up and then when I let off the gas it sounds like there is a misfire or two. I don't know....

bestwiseguy 01-09-2008 09:20 PM

RE: Car is dying again! Help.

What bov are you using and are you venting or recirc.

dorian7 01-09-2008 09:25 PM

1g recerc. I had this problem before and it was a boost leak but when it was a boost leak it would only die when I made boost and put the clutch in. Now I don't even have too.

dorian7 01-09-2008 09:46 PM

Anyone?

Sebba 01-09-2008 10:41 PM

Boost leak possibly?

dorian7 01-09-2008 11:37 PM

well it's weird because it idles fine. And it only dies after it is warmed up (after the choke is off) I don't get it. Does anyone have ideas?

TheEngineer 01-10-2008 06:53 AM

I say leak as well. You can make a tester faily easy so you can actually verify you dont have a leak. Becuase sometimes its not obvious

dorian7 01-10-2008 10:04 AM

Ok I suppose that is what I will do today, thanks guys.

dorian7 01-10-2008 07:21 PM

OK I tested the boost leak. There was no noise other than the noise of what I think was just air running through one of the valves. (it sounded like a propane tank) I thought it might be the intake manifold to head. I put water with soap on it but there were no bubbles. I really need your help guys. It is weird. The more boost I make the easier the car dies. Like if I only rev it to 2k it is ok but past 3 it tried to die. I don't get it.

jlh077464 01-10-2008 07:55 PM

Does it feal like your hitting fuel cut?.....like does it feal like your losing all power, then when you let off the gas, does it come back to normal?

TheEngineer 01-10-2008 08:13 PM

thats really weird. Cuz i cant think of anything else that would cause the car to stall other than a boost leak. Maybe check your spark plugs or wires. Does your car feel fine while you are boosting?

dorian7 01-10-2008 10:01 PM

yeah it does, it runs perfect, when it doesn't die it idels perfect. Sometimes it take a second for the idle to staelize but that is it. And it only dies after I rev it and the RPMs come down (when the clutch is in) Keep in mind when the car does stall when I rev it I can hear it misfire once or twice. Any ideas? Also I am running BPR7ES and Beck/Arnley wires (They have worked perfect for about 6 mo.)

lhausi2 01-10-2008 10:25 PM

when you drive and you hit the brakes does it go below idle? also when you rev it does it go up and then like studder all the way at the bottom? when you rev it does it studder on the way up?

dorian7 01-11-2008 12:06 AM

It goes below idle when I put the clutch or put the clutch in and hit the breaks above 3k RPMs. When I rev it, it only really studders at the bottom (except there is like 1 or 2 misfires ocassionally on the way down).

How does the choke work? Could it be possible that the coolant temp sensor that i installed is causing the choke to stay on or something? (When the car is warmed up it idles at 750 now tho.)

TheEngineer 01-11-2008 06:34 AM

oh that could be a possibility. Check the inside if the Throttle body and make sure its clean. If not take some Carb Cleaner and wipe it down.

dorian7 01-11-2008 11:15 AM

Hmm ok well maybe I will experemnt with unplugging that sensor or something.

TheEngineer 01-11-2008 11:36 AM

also you might check that your MAF sensor isnt clogged or anything

Sebba 01-11-2008 11:52 AM

Plugs and wires?

What are you currently running, when did you last change them?

dorian7 01-11-2008 12:37 PM

BPR7ES and Becks/Arnley Wires, I have used them for 6 mo. no problem.

dorian7 01-11-2008 02:02 PM

Well I suppose I will tray and experiment with new ones. I will check the plugs to see if they are loading up.

Sebba 01-11-2008 02:09 PM

Use OEM wires too.

NGK Classic plugs

dorian7 01-11-2008 02:10 PM

well I am going to use a friends OEM plug wires and plugs that work in his and test it. If the wires are bad I am either going to buy magnacore wires or COPs. Shouldn't the BPR7ES be fine?

Sebba 01-11-2008 05:10 PM

Never know.

dorian7 01-11-2008 05:10 PM

*UPDATE* Ok so I tried new wires and plugs, it didn't make any difference. So I did another test, I unplugged the newly installed Coolant Temp. Sensor and I just let the wire hand there. And I started the car up and there was NO check engine light and the car ran exactly the same. So since it made no difference when it was plugged in or unplugged do you think that it could possible be that causing the problem? I was thinking that maybe the car's choke is controlled by that sensor. If so and the sensor is bad it could be the cause!? What do you guys think??? I mean it kind of makes sence, I changed that sensor and BOOM this problem comes up right?

Sebba 01-11-2008 05:13 PM

Hmmm...

I dont think that will cause it.

Is the harness on your MAS okay?

dorian7 01-11-2008 05:16 PM

Yeah, I didn't mess with that when I changed it.

Sebba 01-11-2008 05:20 PM

So you did the boost leak test... and it held pressure?

dorian7 01-11-2008 05:28 PM

Yes It held it. Guys I think I may have found the source of my problem!

Read this article it is sounds like it is the exact same problem!

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t254394.html

Sebba 01-11-2008 05:44 PM

Maybe.

Im pretty much clueless at this point

dorian7 01-11-2008 07:35 PM

Well I just bought the OEM one and I will replace the crappy Napa one and see if it works (fingers crossed) If not then it is going to the mechanic :-(

dorian7 01-11-2008 10:40 PM

Frick..... I bought another Temp sensor and I put it in and the car is even weirder now: 1.When you start the car from a cold start the fans imedietly turn on. They don't ever stop being on. 2.The car will not go on choke when starting the car. It starts idling at 750 as soon as the car starts and has a hard time starting because of it. And the initial problem still exists :-( I don't get it. I thought that maybe the ECU needed to be reset, is that a possibility? so I disconnected the battery and now I am going to wait until the morning to reconnect it.

Sebba 01-11-2008 11:09 PM

You can re connect it after about 20 seconds lol

dorian7 01-11-2008 11:26 PM

well I tried that, I even tried turning the lights on and stuff and when i reconnected it the stereo still had the time set and did not require a password.

Sebba 01-11-2008 11:32 PM

Trust me dude, the ECU was reset

dorian7 01-11-2008 11:41 PM

Do you guys think that there is any chance that it is the alternator?

Sebba 01-11-2008 11:45 PM

No.. your battery would be dead

dorian7 01-12-2008 01:45 AM

Ok I found out something interesting. While the Coolant temp sensor was plugged in I grabbed the wires and moved them around (the wires to the sensor) it caused the fans to turn on and off. So it seems like the wire is bad. What do you guys think? What could have possibly happend here is that the wire was bad and it caused the check engine light to come one. (bad coolant temp sensor) and when I replaced the sensor I moved the wires around and that just aggrivated the problem. What do you think?

Sebba 01-12-2008 01:47 AM

You definatly have a short some place in the harness...

dorian7 01-12-2008 02:03 AM

hmmm. Do you know how I would go about checking that, or would I be best off having someone else doing it?

Sebba 01-12-2008 02:29 AM

Better off having someone else look at it