2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Car just 'stopped'

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Default Car just 'stopped'

Hey guys. Bad news. After 2 days of hard work trying to get the downpipe and o2 housing in... my car just shut off on my way to a friends house. Well, this is what happened: I was driving to a friends house (with my downpipe and o2 housing in, that i finally finished today). I drove my car around all day today, loving the power, but i would hit fuel cut everyonce in awhile. But anyway, i was driving and was cruising (in gear) and i was coming up a hill and tried to go and noticed that the RPMS dropped and i couldnt give it gas. So eventually i came to a stop. I tried turning it back on, and nothing. I would crank but it would start. The timing belt is there along with all the other belts. I also tried to reset my car, and that didn work either. I have no clue. What do you guys think? PLEASE HELP.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Default RE: Car just 'stopped'

not to be a smart ***, but does it have gas in it? when i worked at a shop we used to get people that had their cars towed in all the time that were just out of gas due to a bad sending unit or they just forgot

Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 AM

Yeah man, of course. I am not that stupid. I have about half a tank.

Any ideas anyone?

Old 11-20-2006, 01:45 AM

did it stutter for a little bit, then die or just die as if you turned the key off?

Old 11-20-2006, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Right off the bat I'm going to guess a bad fuel pump. Or a clog in the line. Try taking the intake hose off and spray starter fluid in there (just a little bit at a time) while someone else turns the key. If it starts then you have a fuel delivery problem. If it STILL doesn't start then I'd guess it's a spark problem. If that's the case look at the dizzy cap and rotor perhaps they're worn that far (I had an old pickup that they got THAT badly worn but as soon as I changed distributor cap and rotor she started right up again).

Old 11-20-2006, 11:28 AM

Thanks guys.

I talked to a buddy of mine and he said maybe the Camshaft position sensor... What do you guys think about that? I will try the starter fluid though and check the other stuff too.

Old 11-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: agallardo

Thanks guys.

I talked to a buddy of mine and he said maybe the Camshaft position sensor... What do you guys think about that? I will try the starter fluid though and check the other stuff too.
its definetly a posibility. But i would say one of the last things to try because i thinks its a bitch to change out

Old 11-20-2006, 11:51 AM

Alright, i guess i am gonna try the starter fluid first. If not, then I will check the dizzy cap and rotor, which i dont know where it is? Where is it? And if that doesnt work, i will try the cam position sensor, which i dont know where it is either. Mine is not up by the valve cover either.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Dizzy=Distributor. The spark plug wires come out of it and go to the spark plugs. Follow them to the cap

Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 PM

What is the rotor? and where is it? By the way, Sanguinius did you mean upper intercooler piping instead of intake...? And where do i spray the starter fluid.. in the throttle body?

Quick Reply: Car just 'stopped'