2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Car just 'stopped'

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Default RE: Car just 'stopped'

i think he means the coil packs considering that 2g eclipse doesnt use a cap and rotor...
but i dont think that it would be the problem... i had 2 bad coil packs and my car still ran... just bad
easy way to check for spark is pull a spark plug and check if it sparks while you have someone try to start the car.
and to check the fuel pump just pull the line coming off of the fuel filter and try to start your car again and see if it pumps any gas through the line

Old 11-20-2006, 08:00 PM

By the way, anyone know where my Camshaft position sensor is located?

Old 11-20-2006, 08:01 PM
Banned

96-95 its on the crank itself... and 97-99 its attached to the upper left of the valve cover

Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Simss

i think he means the coil packs considering that 2g eclipse doesnt use a cap and rotor...
but i dont think that it would be the problem... i had 2 bad coil packs and my car still ran... just bad
easy way to check for spark is pull a spark plug and check if it sparks while you have someone try to start the car.
and to check the fuel pump just pull the line coming off of the fuel filter and try to start your car again and see if it pumps any gas through the line

These days I'm not sure WHICH cars have distributors and which have coil packs. My bad. And I mean the intake pipe that goes into the throttle body. Take that hose off and spray the starter fluid and see if it starts with small sprays of it while someone turns the key.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Banned

I suggested that he check for spark first. Then try to turn the car over and after, remove one of the plugs to check if its drenched in fuel.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:33 AM

Guess what it was guys??? The ENGINE fuse. How messed up is that? Sebba helped me out with that before i started pulling everything apart.

I just wanted to thank everyone.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

The engine fuse???? Naw hold on a sec. There's a VERY important lesson to be learned here and I'd like to try teaching it via words before bad experience kicks you in the head. The fuse blew. There's a REASON that fuse went pop. If it happens again then you have a problem for sure. This time MAY have beena simple fluke or a spike from nowhere that just happened for some odd reason. If it happens again then you'll need to find your short before just replacing the fuse and going on your merry way.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:09 AM
Banned

Its called metal fatigue. When metal is is heated and cooled many many times it looses its integrity. It happens...

Now... if you replace it and it blows again... then you have a problem.

I think its safe to say there is no problem here.

Old 11-21-2006, 04:12 PM

Actually guys, there is a problem. I went through 3 fuses today. I drove to a friends thinking it was ok, but no. Good thing i bought extra ones. This sucks. So i guess my problem remains... Anyone have an idea of what it could be? Please help....

Old 11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Banned

Are you saying it keeps blowing that one fuse? Are you sure you are replacing it with the right fuse?

Check your grounds...

EDIT: Ok i spoke to him in AIM and he says that its blowing the same fuse repeatidly. This is the 20A engine fuse. Meaning there is some kind of electrical short happening someplace on this circuit. Now if the short was constant it would blow the fuse instantly... this is not the case here. It takes a while to blow. So either the current is slighly higher than should be... or gets random surges of electrical current. Either way we need to find the source.

Does anyone know what components are on this circuit?

Quick Reply: Car just 'stopped'