2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Car won't start? How would I know if it is starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:59 AM
Default Car won't start? How would I know if it is starter?

Hi,

I just finished my afternoon classes at school and went to my car to go back home but when I tried to turn it on it does not do anything. It just clicks 1-2 times as if to start and then stops. I have a 96 Eclipse GS Spyder. The power is on, it has all the regular signs on but once I try to switch from On to Start it does not. It was raining heavily today and the temperature dropped significantly but I am not sure whether this could be causing the problem. I call a friend of mine and he said it could be the starter, how could I see whether it is that.

Could anyone tell me whether I could replace it myself with a new one or I have to get the car towed to a car service for it. It is currently safely parked in the college parking lot but still it would not move anywhere with that problem ((( Please help!

Regards,

Svetlin

Old 10-29-2004, 03:09 AM
Default RE: Car won't start? How would I know if it is starter?

Sounds like the starter is going out. I had that problem on my 98 eclipse spyder. Every once in a while I would try to start my car for the first time and you could hear a loud noise of the starter engine trying to start. However in my case, it would always start up the second time after the first attempt. That was an indicator that it was going out. I had it replaced by a dealer for $500. Not cheap. It is a pain to change, unless you're good at working on your car, I don't suggest it. Be aware that if you don't buy a starter from a dealer, most places sell rebuilt starters.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:18 AM

before you try geting a new starter i would try jumping your car somtimes if you batt isnt pumping the amps needed it will act like the starter has gone out. and going to the dealer for naypart is well a rip. i would rather buy a rebuilt starter that has a 3 year guarantee for 100-150 bucks than a $500 part that will last just as long if not less time. and in a gs the starter is easy access just pop the hood and it is on the drivers side a couple of bolts and your done.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:42 AM

By the way, the starter wasn't $500, that's including labor, so it's maybe like $300. Or you can just go to a dealer and have them diagnose the problem. That's usually $50, but a lot cheaper than replacing a starter if that's not the problem. More than likely it is, but I had the dealer check mine before I went ahead and dished out $500.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:57 PM

question, why in the hell are you guys payin 300 and 500 bucks for a starter, mine cost 90 at parts america and i got a 15 core charge back............

Old 11-02-2004, 04:48 PM

I did it because I wanted the stock brand new and not rebuilt. A lot of places like Auto Zone and Kragens were selling starters for like $200-$300 but they were also rebuilt and have a limited lifetime warranty. I figure if anything goes wrong with mine, the dealer installed their brand starter and it is covered. I don't know, it cost a lot, but I know it's going to last a long time.

Old 11-02-2004, 08:33 PM

ok, i was just curious cause i never had a problem with rebuilt ones, but i understand where your comin from............

Old 11-03-2004, 01:20 PM

Try checking the grounding on the starter. There have been a few cases where the starter wasn't ground properly. Although it is quite a rare occasion, it still may be a possibilty.

Old 12-11-2004, 01:45 AM

On my 96 rs I had to replace the sttred. its like an hour job at the most. Just like 1398spdr I have never had a problem with the rebuilt stuff. If your car is a five speed you can start the car with the help of some friends. 1st put turn the key to the 2nd notch. then push the clutch in and the car in 1st gear and have your friends push the car down the road. once you get to around 10 mph you will try to start the car while letting up on the clutch. Then have you foot on the gas so when it turns on you can get it running. I did this when my starter went and it saved me $.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:46 PM

I did it because I wanted the stock brand new and not rebuilt. A lot of places like Auto Zone and Kragens were selling starters for like $200-$300 but they were also rebuilt and have a limited lifetime warranty. I figure if anything goes wrong with mine, the dealer installed their brand starter and it is covered. I don't know, it cost a lot, but I know it's going to last a long time.

You do know that they use rebuilt starter right? and it is not the brand that cost alot its becuse u buy it at the dealer with a shop discount u can get the same starter u got for 150 bucks. Did you know they charged you for 3.5 hours of labor for a job they did in 30min. just a helpfull hit buy smart take the time to do **** your self and you would be 350-400 bucks richer i know of alot of stuff i would like to put on my car for the same amount you just blew becase you are lazy and well sucked into the whole "the dealer is better" bull****. net time your starter goes out call me and ill get the part take the 30min to install and then collect the 400 bucks.

Quick Reply: Car won't start? How would I know if it is starter?