2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Clutch adjustment or replacement ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Default Clutch adjustment or replacement ? ? ?

Ok, so I bought my car about a month or two ago, when I got the car it had an ACT 2100 Clutch Kit installed less than 1500 miles ago, and between the time I got the car and now I've been to the track once and goofed around on the roads with friends, nothing crazy. But there was one occasion where the bushing on the end of my shift cable came out, which left my car stuck in 3rd gear. This was at night by the way, I was with a friend but I decided I wanted to bring the car home and not leave it unattended in the middle of downtown. So yes, as your already thinking the clutch was burning pretty bad when I tried to take off from a stop, so I took the back roads and If I remember right I ran about 3 stop lights, but I could see there was noone around. So after the shift cable was fixed, I noticed my clutch started slipping a couple weeks later. It only slipped in 3rd, 4th & 5th, then after the car sat for about 2 weeks, I took it out again and now 2nd gear was slipping too. Keep in mind the clutch only slips when the boost kicks in, If I drive it regularly its fine. So yesterday when I was driving the car I noticed the clutch pedal seemed like it wasn't depressed all the way, so I pulled it up, and I had no slipping! So I realized that there was an issue with the tensioner possibly or an adjustment somewhere. But today when I drove my car to work I noticed the clutch was slipping again, I made sure the clutch pedal was pulled up all the way, and it was still slipping again.

So my question is this, does this sound like its an adjustment issue? or Is it a clutch that needs to be replaced? Honestly I think this is an adjustment problem, but I'm not sure where to make the adjustment. Any and all help would be appreciated.

One more thing, I'm sure many of you are aware of the slack with the shifter when its in gear, it can wiggle from left to right a little bit, would a short shift kit help get rid of the slack?

Old 10-15-2007, 09:39 AM
Default RE: Clutch adjustment or replacement ? ? ?

i would say you probably need a new clutch. after all that burning that one night you probably wore it down quite a bit so it cannot stand high torque.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Banned

Yeah dude the clutch seems fried. The slack is just caused by the springs. Simply get better ones and that will solve your issue

Old 10-15-2007, 11:51 AM

also, if you are replacing the clutch, after buringing it like that i would strongly suggest re-surfacing the fliwheel, there is probably alot of slick clutch residue on it that could possibly make your new clutch slip..

Old 10-15-2007, 11:58 AM

So you guys really don't think it could be an adjustment somewhere? There's no adjustments I can make to make sure? It's just weird how yestereday the clutch was fine and now its not again, it's like the clutch is speradic at slipping.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:32 PM

clutches are very tempermental and can catch or slip in different conditions. yesterday the humidity may have made it catch on it's last piece of life... it sounds like it's pretty fried. resurfacing the flywheel i would call a must like nick said or even just ordering another... good luck.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:38 PM

eh, he shouldnt need a new one, that will be alot more money than just re-surfacing it. unless he ran the car also and the clutch is THAT fried, the flywheel should be fine. just need to get the slick layer off, and it he is good, it can be done at home with 220 grit and 400 grit sand paper thats what i did and it worked fine untill my engine blew

Old 10-15-2007, 01:49 PM

i was just throwing another option out there incase while he was out spending money he may wanna throw a lil bit extra out there for a lightweight flywheel.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:04 PM

Well, I'm happy for the advice (not really what my wallet wanted to hear) but in either case I was already planning on purchasing a new clutch kit. I'm looing at the ACT 2600 Clutch kit, I guess I had a small amount of hope when my clutch grabbed yesterday, you know it seemed to be working again at lunch today....... but I need to face the inevitable and stop wasting my time on that, lol.

I am just curious though, is there an adjustment to make the pedal stiffer, and apply more pressure to the clutch, or not really.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:13 PM

There is a pedal adjustment but like everybody says ur clutch disk is probably done after that abuse. If you still want to play with adjustment here the link. http://www.roadraceengineering.com/c...ywheeltech.htm scroll down to clutch adjustment.

Quick Reply: Clutch adjustment or replacement ? ? ?