2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Clutch pedal too soft after clutch replacement WHY??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:24 PM
Default Clutch pedal too soft after clutch replacement WHY??

Whats up guys, I just had the clutch replaced on 97 GST a couple of weeks ago. IT was a stage 3 street clutch. The problem is that the pedal for the clutch feels even worse than when I had the stock burnt worn out factory clutch. I mean there is basically not effort to press the pedal to disengage.

Then when I try to take off from first gear it still slips if i try to take of fast. What is going on? Pelase help me I have bled the system i even tried to adjust the nut behind the pedal but i does not help. By the way i did resurface the fly wheel. i've always heard the the higher performance clutch you install the stiffer teh pedal will get, but so far thats not the case with mine.

Any help will be appreciated

Old 10-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Default RE: Clutch pedal too soft after clutch replacement WHY??

You do have a problem. Somehow, part of your problem sounds as though you have something in wrong. Many clutches, even though they look similar from both sides, have a side that goes to the flywheel and there is sometimes a sticker on it stating that. For a new clutch with a resurfaced flywheel and a hydraulic system, the clutches I have seen were non adjustable and if you have to adjust it usually there is something else wrong in the hydraulic sytem. But, I would still look that maybe something is in backwards, clutch or throwout bearing, if these systems have such a thing. And again, if there is a pilot bearing, by all means at least check it for size to make sure the input shaft of the tranny does not have too much play.

I just thought of one more thing, I had a counter part guy give me the wrong length of a throw out bearing. Did you check all parts before you put them in that they were the same size as the ones you took out?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:56 AM
Banned

i think you just need to check your fluid levels and flush all the fluid out to clean the system and put new fluid in.

Then if that does not fix the problem i would take a look at the hydraylic lines looking for anything odd. Also examine the master cyl for anything odd too.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

to me it sounds like an installation issue as well, if it was in the lines then the clutch wouldnt disengage right, but because the problem is with slipping and staying engaged id go with what oldschool said

Old 10-24-2006, 02:03 PM

you could also adjust the pedal height too, and i would definatly check the slave and master cyl, just because they may seem to be alright, it could just be the cyl that is warn out.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 PM

bleed the lines better and play around with the pedal adjustment, there are upper and lower adjustments.
-fyi, just because you get a stronger pressure plate doesnt necessarily mean the pedal will be stiffer, IF its adjusted properly. my ACT 2600 felt like stock once its adjusted properly.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: DSMTalonAWD51
-fyi, just because you get a stronger pressure plate doesnt necessarily mean the pedal will be stiffer, IF its adjusted properly. my ACT 2600 felt like stock once its adjusted properly.
yea exactly, i had a 2900 in my car and a guy came to look at it and tested the clutch and was like, oh this is a 2600. i told him it was a 290 and he would not believe me cuz he thought it should be stiffer

Old 10-25-2006, 06:07 PM

Ok guys I tried to purge the fluid system to make sure i did not have Air in the lines. so far it seems like it was ok BUT i have one question I was also told to adjust the engagement and load points where are these located? or what are they. Any Other I deas or things i should try to adjust before cracking the trany open again?

By the way thanks to all for the advise its greatly appreciated.