2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Disconnecting the battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Default Disconnecting the battery

Well guys I have officially put my car in the garage for the winter storage..'99 Eclipse GS-T...I'm wondering if it would harm the computer or anything else if I disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected until I bust the car out in the Spring..I ask this because if I don't drive the car for a couple of weeks my battery goes dead if it just sits in the garage and I have to jump it each time I want to go out and let it run for a bit...I have a decent size stereo hooked up...2 Earthquake Magma 12 inch woofers, Earthquake 6x9's, Earthquake 6 1/2's in the doors, Earthquake 3 1/2 in. tweeters in the dash, Earthquake DHC 200 digital amp for subs pushing 1200 watts apiece but the gains are turned down, Earthquake 4 channel amp for high end, Stinger dry cell battery in the trunk, American Eagle capacitors, Stinger alternator relay under the hood, Pioneer head unit..I'm running everything off the factory alternator for now..I do have a 210 amp alternator going in it in the Spring, just gotta get it rebuilt first...I know the car is performing all it's normal power functions like running all the power equipment plus trying to run the monstrosity.

The system shouldn't be drawing any current when the car and system are off right? So why does the battery die? It's a new (last fall) Interstate battery...I asked the guy about the Optimas but he said the Interstate would be fine...I'm dumbfounded (or maybe just dumb LOL) as to why it would keep going dead if I have a dry cell hooked up in the trunk as well...Would it be OK to leave the battery disconnected all winter?? Does it hurt the car to jump start it each time? Help me learn here LOL.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Disconnecting the battery

the best thnig to do when storing a car away for the winter is get a charger for it. Its called a battery tender, and it will keep it charged and stabilized. It works where it doesnt continue to charge either so you dont overchage it. Alot of people i have heard of use this and they have gotten batteries to last 4-5 years longer than they are supposed.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:45 PM

the thing with that is I don't have electricity hooked up out there..damn people who built it never had it put in...what about my other questions..
Would it be OK to leave the battery disconnected all winter?? Would it mess up the computer or anything else electronic with the car if it was disconnected all winter??? Does it hurt the car to jump start it each time? Help me learn here LOL.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

i think it should be fine to leave it disconnected. Thats what i was planning on doing with my car. Its better than draining the battery. I cant see it affecting the car.

Old 11-09-2006, 03:00 PM

That's what a mechanic here at the dealership said as well, that it should be fine leaving it disconnected..I was just worried it would mess with the computer or the security system or whatever. Does jump starting a vehicle from another vehicle every so often hurt it? Sorry I'm a pain in the *** but I have a lot of time and money invested into mine and I just want to keep it functional and nice...I know the meaning of value and how expensive everything is these days.