2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

door handle fix ever done?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Default RE: door handle fix ever done?

lol yea that would suck, butwhy didnt you try crawling through the hatch?

Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM

key didn't open the hatch.

Old 03-19-2008, 03:45 PM

well i bet that had to suck, what did they end up having to do.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM

lol.... hatch is the option on a 2g you know it!! if you dont have a functional hatch... sooner or later youll be left out =)

Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM

This is pretty funny seen as just the other day I got in my car and went to open the door for a buddy, and what do ya know.... It came off in my HAND!!!!! Now I gotta look for a new one....

Old 03-20-2008, 06:45 PM

ORIGINAL: bestwiseguy

I pulled my driver side door handle off while leaving the bodyshop after getting my front bumper
replaced lol. It's been that way for a few months now and im sick of leaning over from the
passenger side to open the door

LOL!!! My wife would always laugh her **** off when she saw me do that! She keeps telling me I need to get another car, but the no car payment rocks! That means more golf!! Hehe!!

Old 03-20-2008, 10:44 PM

dealer will charge 100bucks labor for it. My friend broke mine. I bought another one off ebay for 15 bucks shipped same color as my car. I put it on myself. Its hard cuz the damn screw is in a small spot. get a girl with little hands to do it.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:55 PM

when i shut my door w/ both handles shut and my key didn't open my hatch i called a locksmith who put an air puch between my door and pillar. he told me that it's possible to break the glass by doing this but i didn't have a choice. it's like one of those things they put on your arm and take ur blood press. and we ended up getting it through some locksmith's version of a coathanger. only cost me like 40 bucks though. but, damnit... i was PISSED when i had to call him the next day again LOL

Old 03-20-2008, 11:31 PM

lol...when i first bought my RS years ago, it had a broken door handle. i fixed that and 3 days later my wife broke it back off...along with her ripping off my front bumper in the same day! i was sooo pissed

Old 03-21-2008, 06:02 PM

My passenger door hand broke too. Not the long flat piece but where it pivots on the rod inside the door. I used sheet metal that I had laying around and trimmed it to shape and cut a slot down the pivot arm (after I used JB weld on it), welded it as suggested and then slapped it back in the car. That was two months and hundreds of door openings laters and it's still good. Shortly after I bought the kit for it because it was just a PITA to shape the metal, lol. I still have to do the driver's side before it breaks on me. Bah, I'll do it when my next break from school comes up.

For anyone who hasn't seen my other posts on this (isn't it in our FAQ section too?...door handle fix that is), here is the site that will help and it helped me too. This site also sells the handle repair kit. If you hit the "home" icon, it will take you to the kit. I did everything exactly like suggested with one minor modification to the example and everything came off and out with issues.

http://www.rcaz.com/rcaz/sub%20index...oval/index.htm

Here's another site that used as referrence. It's from Redefined Rides, Jason, who did my swap. In his example, he suggests removing the rod arm from the clip that holds it nice and snug against the keylock mechanism and that's what I modified from the first link to get the keylock off.
http://www.redefinedrides.com/handle.html

Hope this helps whoever searches this topic. Here, I'll even be sure to add the most basic keywords. Door handle fix

Btw, I do see the related threads below my text box and this fix is in the FAQ section.

Quick Reply: door handle fix ever done?