2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Eclipse GS dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 02:06 AM
Default Eclipse GS dead

I got a 1996 eclipse gs from this lady for $700, i'm thinking of swaping a 4g63 in but for now I would like to fix the regular engine 420a, she was telling me that when she was driving all of a sudden smoke started coming out of the hood. When I took the car from her I tried starting it up and it seems the smoke is coming from the intake manifold, what is wrong with the car and how can I fix it? I need to fix this engine because i'm low on cash and can't purchase the new one. Any info will help Thanks

Old 09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Default RE: Eclipse GS dead

Take off the intake manafold and see if the head gasket or the valve cover gaskets are leaking at all. if that is not the problem check the line that goes from the intake manafold to the valave cover where the pcv valve is to make sure it is not leaking. if you dont want to take the anafold off just jack the car up and look from underneath the car although your view may have some obstruction you can see most of everthing. also check some of the things like where the oil filter goesinto the block and the crank pos sensor anything that can have a broken seal that is leaking oil on the motor. Did the lady say anthing about overheating or anything?

Old 09-15-2005, 07:17 PM

She did say that the car once overheated because she didn't have any water in it. Can this be another factor for oil in the engine.

Old 09-17-2005, 04:04 AM

Again like I said a bad head gasket, let me guess the smoke is white. Thats coolent smoke, blue smoke is oil smoke. Plus that would explain why the coolent level went down. If she did run it with out any coolent... tha could be bad. OOOOOk the block is cast iron, the head is alunmium. When the motor overheats(bad) the metal gets super hot. Since the head is alunmium it warps. So what may of happen their was a head gasket leek and the coolent went on a bus to ******** town and the motor over heated and the head got hot, REAL hot. When it cooled down it may of warped, which would explain the extreme amount of smoke.

Old 09-17-2005, 05:09 PM

Will this make the engine start, cuz when I try to start it, it sounds like if the battery was really low. i've checked several batteries on teh car and it still sound like that. And its when i'm trying to turn on the car that the white smoke comes out of the intake manifold. Would the head being warped or leak be a factor for the engine not starting. Any info much appreciated Thanks

Old 09-18-2005, 12:26 AM

First check that the battries are still good that your trying. Also what color is the smoke, blue/ white/ PINK? When you say that the smoke is comming from the intake manifold I am assuming that its comming form under it. What may be happening, the head gasket is letting water into the cyl's and putting out the spark. So it may be impossible to start and I dont reccomend driving it/ starting it. If a cyl. isant firing all of the other cyl's have to take the load of moving that cyl up and down. This is called d1111ragging a piston. It can cause the other bearings to fail.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:11 AM

Yes the batteries are good, i'm positive. The smoke is white and its coming from the intake manifold, because I took off the intake and I saw when the smoke was coming out of it.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: vertigo14k

Yes the batteries are good, i'm positive. The smoke is white and its coming from the intake manifold, because I took off the intake and I saw when the smoke was coming out of it.
sounds like the smoke u saw was teh smoke or deposit coming from the valve cover are that connects to the intake if what u are saying the smoke comes out of the intake where the intake meets the head when u take it off just from what that sounds like u got a bad pcv valave and everthing from the valave cover area is leeking int o the intake.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:02 AM

ORIGINAL: get435

ORIGINAL: vertigo14k

sounds like the smoke u saw was teh smoke or deposit coming from the valve cover are that connects to the intake if what u are saying the smoke comes out of the intake where the intake meets the head when u take it off just from what that sounds like u got a bad pcv valave and everthing from the valave cover area is leeking int o the intake.
I run my car w/ out a pcv valve. Been doing so since march. Runs fine. The pvc valve is so the pressure built up in the head can be relased into the intake manifold, along with a bit of oil, to be burned up in the cyl's. Since the feed is after the tb and is under vacume, their have to be a check valve so the motor dosent constantly suck oil from the valve cover.

I dident think that it was litteraly comming out of the intake manifold. Well then its deff a head gasket problem. Your getting water into the cyl's, which wont let the motor start. ITs like trying to start a fire in a rain storm, extremely difficult.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:52 AM

ok i think where it is coming from is not clear i though he said it was coming from the intake manafold when he took it off the car so there would be no way it is a head gasket i may have took what he said wr9ong but if u have the intake off the head and smoke is coming out of the intak manafold the only thing that would cause the problem is a bad pcv. if the smoke is coming from the area on the block where the intake anafold mounts and not from the intake mamafold than it may be a head gastket or a valave cover gasket.

Quick Reply: Eclipse GS dead