Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   Eclipse GS dead (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/eclipse-gs-dead-5789/)

vertigo14k 09-18-2005 05:51 PM

RE: Eclipse GS dead

this is what i'm going to do i'm going to replace the pcv valve with a new one and then we'll take it from there. I will go and buy a new pcv valve and then I will post what has happened since I put on the new pcv valve. Thanks again everyone

Sanguinius 09-18-2005 06:57 PM

I beg to differ. If the white smoke is coming from the intake manifold then it's likely at lesat the intake manifold gasket and possibly a head gasket. The PCV valve wouldn't cause that though it should probably be replaced anyways due to the fact that who knows when it was replaced last and it SHOULD be replaced every 30K. The PCV valve being clogged will blow out the valve cover gasket LONG before any other ones.

slow420a 09-18-2005 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: get435

.... there would be no way it is a head gasket i may have took what he said wr9ong but if u have the intake off the head and smoke is coming out of the intak manafold the only thing that would cause the problem is a bad pcv...
Wow ... um no. But than again you have been here longer then me so what do I know. Only oil flows through the pvc valve. Oil burns blue. Coolent burns white. If white smoke is comming out from the intake, either you have a fu3ked up cyl head(bad seals/cracks) and coolent is comming thru the pvc valve... or you have a bad head gasket. If you dont belive me. Let your car idal untill it gets up to operating temp. Pop the hood and throw a bit of oil on the exaust manifold. If it burns white I will give you my car.

slow420a 09-18-2005 08:54 PM

I was just on 2 g n t.com and ran across this... enjoy.

http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?a...8904&mode=full

EDIT: for some reason the if you type 2 g n t togather it comes up as 2gnt. so heres the gist of it.

Post starter

My pcv valve just broke and I needed to drive the car out. So I simply replaced it with a 3/8" silicone heater hose because I thought any hose should work. But once installed, my car began shooting out a great amount of white smoke (it does before but not that much) and also a funny burning smell. What was happening? I'm just gonna get a new pcv valve, no big deal, but just wondering what caused that to happen, thanks

owned headgasket

It goes into more detail, but i guess you can kinda draw conclusions from the bit I gave you.

vertigo14k 09-18-2005 09:24 PM

I have replaced the pcv valve, and I tried turning on the car but it won't turn on, when i'm trying to turn it on, it makes poping sounds like it something is not doing its job. I took of the intake again and I smelled gas. like if it wasn't burning.

(This is out of nowhere I was talking to some guy and he said that it may have been the timing belt. I don't remember exactly what he said, but that it has to get timed again, and something about that he valves got messed up)

slow420a 09-18-2005 10:00 PM

ORIGINAL: vertigo14k

I have replaced the pcv valve, and I tried turning on the car but it won't turn on, when i'm trying to turn it on, it makes poping sounds like it something is not doing its job. I took of the intake again and I smelled gas. like if it wasn't burning.

(This is out of nowhere I was talking to some guy and he said that it may have been the timing belt. I don't remember exactly what he said, but that it has to get timed again, and something about that he valves got messed up)
Thats because its your headgasket. When you turn the car on the starter spins the crank, which spins the water pump, which pushes coolent through the radiator and up through the head. Your headgasket is leeking water into the cyl's. The spark being created by the spark plugs is being put out by the water and the cyl's are just filling up with gas. Like I said before its a blown headgasket. Get a cyl pressure gauge and do a compression check. Stock compression for each piston should be anywhere from 200 psi to 170 psi. If you get any number lover than that its either a blown ring land or a bad headgasket. When you have a blown ring land the compression test is going to read as follow(cyl 1 to 4) 200, 200, 70, 200. This is signifant b/c a blown headgasket will read somehting like 200, 70, 70, 200. The gasket leek wil make multipal cyl's fail and they will be next to each other. I bet if you hooked up a pocket data loger (ecu scanner) when you tryed to start the car. It would throw codes like cyl 2 & 3 missfiring. B/c the water is preventing the spark plugs from sparking. Its not the timming belt.

vertigo14k 09-19-2005 04:23 AM

OK i'm sorry if i'm asking stupid questions but i'm new to all this stuff, Where can i get a cyl pressure gauge and how do I do the compression check. Where do I stick what and what do I have to take off. Sorry again but thanks for taking ur time in helping me.

Sanguinius 09-19-2005 04:49 AM

You can get a cylinder compression gauge at any auto parts store or sears or whatnot. As for how to test you'll take out a spark plug and screw the gauge line in then you'll have someone crank the engine over while you watch the gauge.

get435 09-19-2005 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

ORIGINAL: get435

.... there would be no way it is a head gasket i may have took what he said wr9ong but if u have the intake off the head and smoke is coming out of the intak manafold the only thing that would cause the problem is a bad pcv...
Wow ... um no. But than again you have been here longer then me so what do I know. Only oil flows through the pvc valve. Oil burns blue. Coolent burns white. If white smoke is comming out from the intake, either you have a fu3ked up cyl head(bad seals/cracks) and coolent is comming thru the pvc valve... or you have a bad head gasket. If you dont belive me. Let your car idal untill it gets up to operating temp. Pop the hood and throw a bit of oil on the exaust manifold. If it burns white I will give you my car.
like i said in the previous post i though he said he took the intake manafold off the car and the smoke came out the intake manafold you know the intake manafold off the car so it is coming directly out the ends of the intake manafold that is what i took from what he said therefore the conclusion that it was the pcv valve and no way a headgasket could be true but like i said maby i misunderstood the way he stated the post.

get435 09-19-2005 12:32 PM

check the spark plugs to see if there is any dsposits from coolent or oil on them here is a site for some ex. http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html