2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Eclipse GS dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Default RE: Eclipse GS dead

I haven't done the compression test yet but I found out that the spark plugs are all black and smell like gas, I think they have some water on them.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:19 AM

Head gasket is owned.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:27 AM

I will try to get a new head gasket change it,is there anything that I have to worry about while changing the head gasket, if so please post. Thanks and until then. I will reply when I have changed the gasket

Old 09-20-2005, 01:58 PM

well its not somehting that someone should od it they have little/no experance with working on cars. While doing it I reccomend changing the timming belt and the belt tensioner while your in there.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

well its not somehting that someone should od it they have little/no experance with working on cars. While doing it I reccomend changing the timming belt and the belt tensioner while your in there.
As well as the water pump.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Change timing belt water pump and tension. Also check the head mating surface for warpage and deformities then check the block mating surface for the same things. You may also want to take the head in to be shaved so you KNOW you have a good surface fore the gasket.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Sanguinius

Also check the head mating surface for warpage and deformities then check the block mating surface for the same things.
Your exactly right, I bet that head looks like a banna, lol. If the lady that had it before you drove it around for a while with the coolent low I be that thing needs to be decked. Also the bedplate on the block will be fine. The reason the head warps is becuase its made from alunimun. The block can get lots hotter and be fine because its made out of iron where the head is a soft metal and after it gets super hot, overheating because of a lack of water, it will warp when it cools, like brake rotors.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:20 PM

I've started dismantling the motor, but I guess I need to be extra careful with the cams and timing belt, so what i'm going to do is place a piece of tape around the cam and belt also place a mark on both belt and cam, but what if I'm going to replace the belt, what do I do then. OK when it comes to the head whats something i'm suppose to be really be careful with. Everyone says the timing. how do I secure that the timing doesn't go off.

Old 09-21-2005, 01:56 AM

Mark a place on the gears with a white marker or something of the sort(somehting that wont come off), it helps to take out a ruler and lay it across the direct center of the timming gears and mark them as they sit. Ps take a picture of the top of the head so you rember everything exactly the way it was. So when you are putting it back togather you have some way to referance everything. Also stick to the toruq spcts. I reccomend getting a CHILTONS manual for the car. The haynes is vauge and wrong on certian levels. Also when you reinstall the head make sure that you bolt it down in a way that it will not cause it to warp.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

When bolting down the head start with the center 2 snug them only then go to the top left then bottom right the bottom left then top right again snug only not tight yet. Then come in to the next 4 bolts working your way from the outside in. Once all head bolts are snug then start working the pattern again starting with the middle 2 then going round the outside working your way in again tightening about 1/2 a turn each time until you reach the specified torque.

Quick Reply: Eclipse GS dead