2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Electrical issue - battery was dead

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 04:03 PM
Default Electrical issue - battery was dead

Ok, so I seem to be going backwards now. Things seemed so fine.

I went to drive my car yesterday and it was dead. When I would put it on there were very faint dashboard lights. Headlights wouldn't work and the interir light was really really dim/low.

I brought out my battery charger and tried to charge the battery. It didnt work. So I had to start the car while the battery charger was connected to the car then remove the charger. I had to do this everytime I turned off the car and tried to start her up again.

I had this problem before, but my fuses were blowing. Since I suck at electrical, I brought it to a shop and they really were not sure what the problem was. I had them fix a bad ground and I thought that worked. Now, like 6 months later my battery is dead. this time tho, my fuses are not blown.

I am thinking I have some bad wiring somewhere. Maybe a bad ground? What can I use to try and diagnose this? I don't want to bring it to a shop coz the last time these dudes had no idea what the problem was.

Just Fyi,
I posted an issue before about electrical problems - https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_115006/tm.htm

Some history

I replaced:
my alt
fuses
ground wire by my battery
battery

So what can I do to diagnose this?

Thanks all

Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Default RE: Electrical issue - battery was dead

Lose battery cable could kill a battery, dirty post on the battery, a constant electrical draw, bad battery, alt going bad, I have seen it all with my eclipse. Those are just naming things that happen to mine. The dirty termal was when I bought the car but the rest just happened over 2 years.

If I was you right now I would lean towards a newbattery. I went through 3 red tops in 2 years. One red top lasted 3 months and then dead. It would jump start with the battery charger on it and run fine for 2 days and then the battery would be dead again. the other 2 red tops I had lasted about a year each.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:30 PM
Default RE: Electrical issue - battery was dead

Yea when I bought the car, I cleaned and replaced the terminals (cleaned one replaced the other).

I'm leaning towards bad ground.

But seriously dude, there is no way I can go thru batteries like that w/o tryin my *** off to fix it.

Thanks for the heads up tho.