2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
Default Engine ?

Will an Evo engine fit in a 99 Eclipse, I mean I know with an amount of money any engine will fit but will this take alot of modification or jus a little Amount?

Old 03-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Default RE: Engine ?

yea no dont even try it. ever swap takes alot of work. and i dont see this one happenening easily.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:54 PM

I dont know why not, The gst, and gsx model eclipse use the 4g63

Old 03-04-2007, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: soundcolor

I dont know why not, The gst, and gsx model eclipse use the 4g63
^You're kidding with this comment right?

1) The Evo motor is taller
2) The Evo motor will need the Evo ECU or standalone (not the Eclipse ECU)
3) Not the same 4g63 motor (I only say that because you implied the Eclipse/Talon 4g63 to be the same as the Evo 4g63)
4) Since the motor is on the passenger's side, motor mounts and tranny mounts are going to have to be fabbed, not to mention the driveshaft length.
+ more.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:42 PM

Answer plan and simple NO

Old 03-04-2007, 10:22 PM

says the guy with a 4g63 and awd in his chrysler sebring.
anything can be done. Anything should be done.
here's a short list of strange, but awsome mods I've seen either in person, or in sportcompact car
1. a b16 powered mini
2. a northstar v8 powered v-dubb golf
4. a twin engined hyundia tib.
5. a b18 powered 72 civic
6. a chevy 305 powered porsce 944
7. a skyline powered supra
8 a skyline powered 240sx
9. a slivia powered miata
10. a b18c5 powered elise
11. a twelve cylinder bmw powered ultima gtr
12. a rotary powered lotus super 7 (the real thing, not a knock off)
13, a 2jzgte powered shelby cobra replica
14. a ford 302 powered nissan 280
15. a ford 351 powered crx
16. a ford 351 clevland turbo powered Ferrari 308 gtb
17. a supra powered rx-7
18. a toyota powered lotus (yeah, the one that lotus sells to the general public)
19. a twin turbo ferrari f-50 (i know not quite a swap, but how many people are going to do something that should by all accounts be not possible)
20. a f-40 powered 355gts
21. a chevy 454 powered 90' mustang lx
22. a chevy turbo chevy 350 powered 23 t-bucket
23. a aston martin v8 vantage powered jaguar xk-8
24.a subaru powered airplane (turns out they make really good air-craft motors) yes, both turbo and N/A
25. a porsche turbo flat 6 (from I think a 96 turbo 911) stuffed into a 68 v-dubb bug
26. a audi rs-6 powered golf r-32
27. a porsche 911 motor in a miata
28, a chevy 350 powered miata
29. a ford 302 powered miata
30, a k20 powered 00 civic

the list just goes on, and on. The point of all that is, anything is possible, and I dont (granted I havent done one myself, but I am sure someone has) dropped a evo 4g63 into an eclipse. No doubt that through the years the evo powerplant has changed, and evolved over the years. While it might be harder for a newer model 4g to fit, an older model might well bea bolt in affair on that note heres some things to think about the early model evo motors (versions 1-4) had the same 4g63, not the 4g63t engine in the newer models (the 5-9 models, which do turn 180 degrees), also there are reports, and im looking for them now that there are swaps alread done with this exact conversion in a gst

Old 03-04-2007, 10:29 PM

tell me one logical reason to waiste the time and money to swap in the same motor you already have??? the EVO is built and tuned a little more advanced so all you do is pull your eclipse motor and buid it slightly and tune it and you already got the same result at MUCH less of the cost. there are pletny of thing availible to make the eclispe motor far better than the evo motor anyway. and the price of the EVO block and head alone is more money than it would cost to make 400HP on eclipse motor

Lets use our brains for a second here.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:42 PM

no, no no, dont get me wrong, I am not advocating this idea, i am just saying its possible.
The guy asked if it could be done, not should it be done.
Your 100 percent right, there is just as much, if not more power to be made from what he already has. It s completely pointless to throw money away at that swap, I have seen some really dumb ****, but that would just be silly. Not that it wouldnt be trick, but the same question everyone would want to know is "why?"
Like when my lil brother wanted to throw in an h-22 in his 99 v-6 accord coupe. Sure it could be done, butto what benifit.

I agree with you EMONZ, there is no logical point, especially considering his startingblock to begin with.
no need to go bashing bro. all i said was that it was possible

Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 PM

no no not bashing at all. I just would not even call this a possibility for a swap it is even more retarded to try than a 420a to a 4G63 swap

Old 03-05-2007, 03:02 AM

says the guy with a 4g63 and awd in his chrysler sebring.
anything can be done. Anything should be done.
here's a short list of strange, but awsome mods I've seen either in person, or in sportcompact car
The 4g63 was never optioned in my car....Dodge Avenger, not Chrysler Sebring...come on. That's like me telling you that you have a Talon when you clearly have an Eclipse or vice versa...get your facts straight first. The 4g63 was option in the Eclipse/Talon, not in my car. Mine is one of 5..one of a kind Avengers. Just like the cars in your list.
Just like the list you showed, those cars had other motors swapped into them that gave those chassis' an advantage. Just like the 4g63 in my car has an advantage. Swapping in a physically taller motor in a car that can't physically house it.....??
Just like Emonz stated, there are a lot of mods that can bring the Eclipse/Talon/VR4 motor to an EVO power rating. It's not an advantage to throw in an EVO motor for power alone when the motor that's in the car now can achive the same amount of power...see what I'm saying. I would never tell someone not to do a motor swap, that would be anti-me.

The point of all that is, anything is possible, and I dont (granted I havent done one myself, but I am sure someone has) dropped a evo 4g63 into an eclipse. No doubt that through the years the evo powerplant has changed, and evolved over the years. While it might be harder for a newer model 4g to fit, an older model might well bea bolt in affair on that note heres some things to think about the early model evo motors (versions 1-4) had the same 4g63, not the 4g63t engine in the newer models (the 5-9 models, which do turn 180 degrees), also there are reports, and im looking for them now that there are swaps alread done with this exact conversion in a gst
There has been two EVO (4-9) motors dropped into Japanese Eclipses. They are only FWD. They can say that they have an EVO motor in their cars now...they are no faster than an Eclipse GS-T. Again, facts....Early Evos (1-3, not 4) used the same motor the 2Gs have now, with minor differences. I'm not sure why you added the "t" when talking about an EVO motor either. Only the European Eclipses/Talons (if they have them there) and 1Gs (here in the states) use N/A 4g63s. But if we were talking about those, then it would benefit him even more to swap in a turbo 4g63 from an Eclipse/Talon over an Evo.
Another fact, there is a 4G with an EVO 8 or 9 4g63 in it already. I'll let you find that, I'm done with that topic...done with it about 2 + years ago. It also uses the Evo's AWD system and it's called the Eclipse Ralliart Concept...google it.

no, no no, dont get me wrong, I am not advocating this idea, i am just saying its possible.
The guy asked if it could be done, not should it be done.
Here's the original question again
ORIGINAL: Trav99Eclipse

Will an Evo engine fit in a 99 Eclipse, I mean I know with an amount of money any engine will fit but will this take alot of modification or jus a little Amount?
He didn't ask if it could be done, he was asking "will it?" and "how much?", not "can it?"
That is why I listed what I did.
I'm not sure why you feel like I came at you or why I wouldn't want anyone else to have a motor swap...?

Quick Reply: Engine ?