2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:42 AM
Default RE: Engine ?

If you really really really love your car and plan to keep it forever, thats the only reason to spend that much time and effort to do a difficult engine swap

Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 AM

I didnt feel like you were coming at me at all. I was strickly talking to EMONZ, My bad on your car, chrysler sebring, dodge avenger... my bad bro.
As for the question to begin with, I kinda felt that him asking "Will an Evo engine fit in a 99 Eclipse" as saying can it be done. I mis-interpreted what he was asking, read it the wrong way.

as for it not fitting. I dont know if thats the case neccessarily. I dont have the specs here, but I am willing to bet that its not much taller than the "original" 4g63" what are we talking an inch, two... maybe.
nah, nevermind. its not even worth it

Old 03-05-2007, 11:11 AM

I have seen an evo head in a 3g eclipse.. Im not sure what else it had, if the whole block was from an evo or not.. I dunno. But the head for sure was swapped into it.. (Obviously wasnt the stock 3g motor). I may be wrong but isnt that the biggest advantage of the evo motor, is the taller head?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: TheAdvocate

I have seen an evo head in a 3g eclipse.. Im not sure what else it had, if the whole block was from an evo or not.. I dunno. But the head for sure was swapped into it.. (Obviously wasnt the stock 3g motor). I may be wrong but isnt that the biggest advantage of the evo motor, is the taller head?
that 3G was a 4G64 block and EVO head you cant stab the Evo motor in there. and yes the Evos biggest thing is the head. and well the factory turbo is much better than a T25 but what isnt lol

Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 AM

ya.. The turbo obviously.. How much taller is the evo head in inches? Do you know off hand?

Old 03-05-2007, 01:57 PM

I would love to know that, also, just how much taller is the evo engine than the "standard" 4g63

Old 03-05-2007, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: soundcolor

I would love to know that, also, just how much taller is the evo engine than the "standard" 4g63
not sure bout the bolck or the head actually but the head is no doubt bigger just by the eyeball. you can tell it is taller

Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 PM

Granted, I dont know much about the 4g63's, all of what I know is from second hand information from friends, and web-boards, or from doing web-searches. This is, I admit, a poor way to gather information. However it seems alot to me like the situation with the honda motors, the b16 and mainly the b18b (to a lesser degree the c series as well, again due to head size) are noticably diffrent in height size. And at first glance, the obvious thought is, "there is no-way that is going to clear the hood". and again, especially in the case of the h22, or k20 motors, the first opinion from the look of the motor is that neither is going to fit. But honda engineers, realizing the same when putting the cars together, raised the location of the engine mounts on the motor, or made the engine mounts (that actually bolt to the block) have more rise in the verticle wall of the mount, therefore actually lowering the whole motor in the engine bay.

Dont get me wrong, cause really I dont know, but generally, an inch or two in size makes no diffrence. I do know from (at least from what I can recall) that the evo, and eclipse are that far off in their ability to house the larger motor vertically. Granted, a taller motor has to go somewhere, and if that height can no longer go up, it must then go down. Not having a car in front of me, it is hard to get a tape and measure it. But you figure if the engine is say, a completely outlandish 3inches taller (just going to the extremes) and if the motor sits exactly 1inch taller in the eclipse engine bay, then the remaining 2inches has to go down, in that situation, knowing that the eclipse oil-pan is recessed up and out of the way (as is generall practice on all CARS) at least 3 inches from the bottom of the radiator core support. (generally the lowest point of the car) that extra 2 inches of motor will still have 1 inch of safetly clearance.

Like in the nissan culture that spawns just ridiculousness, the N/A sr-20 is completely diffrent from the SR-20DET. overall height is a serious concern with that motor, but you can drop an sr20det into just about any nissan car, whether it had one or not, with just about no modifications.

I dont know...

Old 03-05-2007, 09:36 PM

yes true BUT being that the motor is 180 degrees opposed and the Tranny T case drive shaft Throttle body and all that are on the opposite side of the engine

Old 03-05-2007, 10:01 PM

I'll have to measure my buddy's car next time I get a chance (or can you measure your Emonz?). There's one thing I harp on everytime a motor swap is brought up and that's motor orientation. A swap doesn't know that the motor used to be on the other side. Note, my 6g73 used to be on the driver's side, now my 4g63 is on the passenger's side and I used to have an auto, now a 5 speed....see what I mean? Now if this were a Ford/GM/DCX motor going into a Mitsu or any other car, I'd worry about fabbing the driveshaft tunnel over a bit (just an example, the car may not even have the tunnel to begin with) and other orientation concerns. The motor orientation isn't so much a big concern though.

Some factors that come into play with swaps.
Height is a concern. If the motor is (random #s) 2' tall but the hood line to the ground is only 2.5' tall, that only leaves 6" for groung clearance. Factor in how people lower their cars and inch or two. Then you have to factor in hood clearance. When it's closed, will the motor kick the hood when switching gears at WOT? Where's the heighest point of the motor, is that point on the hood the same (does that make sense)? To get the motor in with proper hood clearance, will the motor have to sit down far below the bottom of the car? The oil pan is down there, remember.
Home experiment. Park you car next to an EVO of the same ride height. Look at your hoodline and his. These are some considerations...not that they can't be overcome, just considerations.

Quick Reply: Engine ?