2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006 | 10:45 PM
|
Default engine questions

i don't know if this is in the right thread or not, but here goes. I have a blown head gasket... boo on that $#:T but it happens.. I recently bought a cometic head gasket, HKS timing belt (because I might as well replace that while I'm at it) and ARP head studs... now i need some opinions.... Should I just take care of all this and call it a day... or.... I'm getting some loan money in soon and could afford a new engine.... a beast of an engine.... and in that case... should I go with slowboy's destroked 2.1 monster.... or their 2.3L stroker.. I only have a PTE 50 trim on my car... so I don't need the stroker to help it spool up... I don't know... just want some opinions.. Thanks everyone

Old 08-27-2006 | 11:14 PM
Banned
Default RE: engine questions

Dont worry blown head gaskets happen all the time. Once they are changed everything will be ok and your engine should run fine good as new. There is no need for engine replacement.

Old 08-28-2006 | 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

i wouldnt bother with the stroker engines. Just building up the block would be more than enough with that turbo and youd save alot of money. Id say just fix this problem then build stuff later. Always start with a good motor before upgrading . BTW you might want to replace water pump, tensioner, and seals while your in there

Old 08-28-2006 | 11:06 AM
|

thanks guys... I really appreciate the input... So TheEngineer, you're just saying to replace pistons, seals, rods, etc... like a full overhaul? I can do that haha..... maybe if I have a week of free time...on another note.... is there an easier way to release the tension on the tensioner arm? The haynes manual says that you have to use mitsubishi special tool... uvaweojfnoiuaewjfiojawio.... but I don't feel like buying this and then having to find the damn hole it fits into on the back.. can't I just kinda clamp down on the arm somehow to release the tension?

Old 08-28-2006 | 11:31 AM

The tool is the easy way of doing it and you can find them on ebay for cheap. Like the engineer said before building the 2.0 would be a much better idea then buying a stroker. Personally I would just throw the hg back on this guy and start your own motor, buy a trashed 6 bolt and do a basement build. Then in the spring drop her in.

Old 08-28-2006 | 06:43 PM
|

Thanks bro... that does sound like a great idea... I just have to find the time for it. I love working on my car and noone else has touched it except me... thats half the reason it isn't painted yet... it just sucks when you can only give it 2 maybe 3 good hours a week ya know?