2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Fog light assembly has me whipped (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Default Fog light assembly has me whipped (pics)

99 GS

I finally borrowed a Tamper-proof torx driver today and figured I would take 5 minutes to replace the bulb in my fog light. Well, now it's getting dark and I'm nowhere near getting the bulb out. I thought I was close at one point. Here's where I'm at:

This stuff is out
Name:  foglight001.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  46.8 KBHere's looking inside, hopefully you guys can read it.
Name:  foglight003.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  59.6 KB
What needs to come out now? Sorry, I tried both links from photobucket and neither one would put a pic up. BTW, the Haynes manual is completely worthless for this. It says the diagram and description is for 95-99 models but doesn't match what I have at all.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:30 PM
Default RE: Fog light assembly has me whipped (pics)

outch!.. you are going at it the wrong way. There is an access pannal at the bottom of the light.,Just a coupple of screws. Make sure to spray some penetrating oil on them if they wont move. But look at them from the bottom You'll see it. I did the same thing. take off the pannel and there is a spring clip holding the lamp in.

hope this helps.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 AM

I eventually got it. Thanks. In the 2nd pic, the two bolts on the side that it swivels on needed to be removed for easier access. The one on the inside was extremely difficult to get out and it was almost stripped. I'm going to buy new ones tomorrow. Once the two bolts on the sides were out (that it swivels on), the whole thing came out the front and THEN I saw the third bolt in the bottom of the assembly in the back. Once I took that out, the bottom cappulled off andeverything dropped out the bottom. I got it from there.

The design on these things is unreal.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 AM

I can't believe the haynes manuel. WTF Why does it say to take the front asembly off for the fog light.. it shows the older version in the diagram though... hmm . I got mine out just by going at them from the bottom. Does anyone know if they make replacement lenses for them... mine need a sevear polishing. Mine are cloudy and chiped from salt etching from Minnesota winters.I think tey would be much brighter if I had a fresh pair of lenses on them.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

i editted the pics for you. And just so you know for future, The code you use is the image code. However, when you copy it from photobucket it does this [IMG]url[/IMG] where for some stupid reason our site only recognizes this [img]url[/img]. Notice the difference, lowercase letters . i know, i find it annoying as well

Old 02-22-2007, 10:44 PM

Ok, thanks for editing the pics. I knew there was some secret to posting pics here but I couldn't remember.

Anyway, I just want to take this opportunity to say how HORRIBLE of a design the fog light assemblies are on the 99 models. The design is horrendous. No, it isn't just me because I'm having trouble. The engineers who came up with this could not have been too bright.

For one, the bolts the assembly swivels on are PHILLIPS head bolts. You cannot get any tool in there with anywhere near enough force, to turn them when they're rusted solid. A regular hex head bolt would be able to beremoved with ease.

So, why am I trying to take those sidebolts out in order to pull the whole assembly out? Why not just take the 3 bolts out of the bottom panel on it and everything drops out, while the assembly's still in place you may ask? Well, because the three bolts in the bottom of the assembly are INACCESSABLE while the assembly is in place. You might get them with a short screw driver on the driver's side. But on the passenger side, you have additional lines in the way. The front fender is directly underneath where you're trying to work so a regular screw drive is out of the question. Everything is in the way. I drilled a hole through the side of my front fender with a hole saw, to try to get an advantage on the passenger side.

I stuck a long screwdriver through the hole, into the swivel bolt on the side, used two arms and one leg pushing against the wall to put pressure on it while trying to turn the bolt out ( keep in mind it's only this easy because I drilled a hole in the front panel) and all I did was strip the damn thing out.
So the actuallight that was out, I can't replace. Great design Mitsubishi!!! Great F****** DESIGN!!
I'd be scared how much labor would cost you to replace these bulbs.