2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

A fountain in the park

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Default A fountain in the park

I had oil leaking down out of the one side of the valve cover. Tightened her down a little more and it went away.

Then after a mo. it came back.

Tried torquing it down a little harder but was afraid that I would 'pop' the bolt, making it jump a thread before the rubber gasket got compressed good enough. Well, I did, [:-] the bolt 'popped', I thought it might have snapped , but it was ok, just back it off a little then start again.

Turns out I couldn't tighten the valve cover down enough to stop the leak.

So I decided to take it off and run a bead of RTV across the leaky area and then try to tighten it down as best I could. This should fix it.

I noticed that the oil pan gasket had a bead of "leak" all the way around it and also the oil dipstick keeps popping up out of its tube ??? [>:]

WTF??

Is my crankcase compression/pressure too high ? (forcing oil out of the crevices?)

Checked the vetilation/PCV found no problem . ??

Bad ring somewhere ? (Gettin' compression down past the ring into the pan??)

So while the valve cover was off I decided to start the engine and take a few seconds to watch it run to see if I see blowby gasses rising up out from the head.

Man ! (No blowby seen but..) those rocker arms (pressure relief valves with their nipples facing the lid of the valve cover) did this really neat kind of 8 stream 3' high fountian of oil []

Looked kinda neat

Gave me a big claean-up job to do though, oil everywhere, inside-a bout 4 seconds [>:]

DT