2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Fresh 420a engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 PM
Default Fresh 420a engine

So Im taking my 420a engine to get new valve put in at the machine shop, and while they are in there there going to but new rings and all the seals are being replaced. So What are the best Oil, spark plugs, engine coolant, plug wires, air filter, oil filter and every thing that i shoud change after the engine being done??? Thanks all advice is thanked and hopefully slow420a will throw in some info he seems to know what his talking about I guess cinthetic oil is the best but wich one in specific im not trying to make my eclipse a monster like slow420a but i do sometimes abuse my cars so performance stuff is better for me than OE thanks.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fresh 420a engine

Well let's see best oil: Mobile 1, spark plugs Bosch double platinums, coolant... I dunno we always used Zerex at the shop, plug wires all depends who you like but the bigger the wire the more spark gets through I'd actually look into the Nology ignition system, oil filter I'd say go with the purolator one series. Also change your air filter (K&N or Airhog filter) and belts (Dayco belt are THE best). Other than that I think all your bases are fairly well covered. I can't think of any other maintenance things you'd want to look at except maybe changing your power steering fluid (There's a way to actually flush the whole system but that's usually a dealer or independant shop type thing we had the machine at the shop for it). You also might want to check your brakes if you're planning on going all out and I don't remember if there is one but if there is an inline fuel filter I'd suggest changing that as well. I can't think of anything else at the moment but if I do I'll add more to it LOL.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:44 AM

Thanks bro i got those pluggs allready and the wires now i have to go get the rest of the stuff tomorrow thanks again

Old 09-24-2005, 10:41 AM

NO NO NO DO NOT PUT SYNTECH IN THE FRESH MOTOR. When you replace the ring you want to put in something like castrol gtx or the regular mobil one for the break in peroid. Reason: For a proper break in the rings need to bead agenst the cyl wall properly. When you use syntech the oil is so dam slippery it keeps the rings from properly seating. This causes bad compression numbers. You will have to rebuild it again. For break in its important to put load on the car to make sure that it gets a proper seal. For example, when out for a cruse throw it in third and floor it, but shift at 4k just to put load on it. Do that a few times, than let it rest, do it again, then let it rest. After that It should be ready to go. But for the first 500-700 miles or so use a good oil, but not a synthetic one.

Also change your fuel filter, its like 12 bucks, but you will need some penetrating oil to get the dam thing off(please depressureize the system before you start wrenching at it, there is no reason at all to get gas in your face). K&n just started to make an oil filter thats awseom but for the break in just use a purelator or something cheap. Deff change the air filter... your car will thank you.

Old 09-24-2005, 12:19 PM

Then when you put Syntetic oil use ROYAL PURPLE it rocks

Old 09-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

I never said to use synthetic to start the new engine just regular modile oil. Use a synthetic after a good break in period sure and at that point I'd go with either A.) Royal Purple as the other post suggested or B.) Amsoil. Either of them are extremeely good oils.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:09 AM

i just rebuilt my motor and the macinest said min of 1500 miles on regular oil no less.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: get435

i just rebuilt my motor and the macinest said min of 1500 miles on regular oil no less.
Thats his opnion, talk to any other mechanic and they will tell you differently.

"AFTER 500 TO A MAXIMUM OF 1000 MILES OF SERVICE, change oil and filter"
http://www.enginesonly.com/break-in.html

Old 09-26-2005, 12:22 PM

i belev the haynes book said 1000-1500 as well i will check later tonight.

Old 09-26-2005, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: slow420a

ORIGINAL: get435

Thats his opnion, talk to any other mechanic and they will tell you differently.

"AFTER 500 TO A MAXIMUM OF 1000 MILES OF SERVICE, change oil and filter"
http://www.enginesonly.com/break-in.html
i think you guys are talking about two different processes. i think get435 is saying to use regular oil for the first 1500 miles, whether you change the oil or not. most of us know, on a new engine build, you should change the oil about every 500 miles. i think get435 is saying that when you do change the oil, continue to use regular oil for the first 1500 miles. i DO NOT think hes saying to not change the oil for 1500 miles

Quick Reply: Fresh 420a engine