2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

gauge lights worked at first but now dont

Old 03-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Default gauge lights worked at first but now dont

ok when i bought the car the gauge lights worked but the car didnt have a radio so i installed one and i thought i had blown a fuise during intsallation but i checked all fuses in engine comaprtment and drivers side floor panel but no fuses were blown well now my radio works but i have to gauge lights so to see my speedometer at night i have a little flourscent light velcroed to the top of the steering column and its looks redneck as hell and i want it gone and all the gauge bulbs have been replaced so is there anyting i can do jus short of buying a new circuit board for the back of the gauges

Old 03-11-2006, 03:07 AM
Default RE: gauge lights worked at first but now dont

I had that EXACT same problem. But what it was for me is that there is a ground wire behind the radio that I forgot to hook back up, and as soon as I seen this and hooked it back up VIOLA! Hope this helps

Old 03-11-2006, 09:24 AM

Threre is a fuse box under the hood too. you should check that out. and check your wireing

Old 03-12-2006, 02:41 PM

ive checked everything i can think of i took my radio back out and hooked up all my wires to the right spots the only thing i didnt hook back up is my cigarette lighter b/c i dont smoke and i even rechecked the back of my instrument cluster so everything is hooked up correctly so if i do have a shot in a wire does anyone know which one exactly goes to the cluster

Old 03-17-2006, 10:34 PM

Try rotating your dim swich. I have the same problem every now and then when I would be driving along and lose my lights inside. I would have to move my dimmer switch to get them to turn back on. Sometimes I would have to just push on the switch and they would come on. Anyway if the dimmer switch is not hooked up your lights won't light up either.

Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM

ok thnx for the tip but to let you know my high beams and low beams work fine no problem but ill try wat you said thanx

Old 03-19-2006, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like it might be a dimmer switch problem or a bad line somewhere. Take your dimmer out and trace the lines that go from it to your instrument cluster. Test with a multimeter for continuity on those. Also do the interior lights work or no? If the interior lights don't work by turning the dimmer all the way to one side then you definately have a bad switch there.