2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Gauges.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Default Gauges.

Who makes good gauges, I'm not looking to have the whole car decked out with them for show. I need them for real. ANd whats the difference between mecahnical and electrical gauges? And what are there advantages? Thanks fopr your help.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Default RE: Gauges.

For boost I would stay with an autometer. Mine has done me great and never failed. 30-0-30 Phantom Series.

For the temp/pressure gauges I suggest GREDDY. I have a EGT peak/hold gauge and it works like a charm. I used it along with my pocketlogger and tuned my car pretty damn good without a dyno. The dyno was just used to dial it in a smidge better.

Mechanical gauges need to be connected through tubing (well, or linkages if you get something like a Model A or Piper Cub fuel level gauge) to the system they're measuring. In some cases, such as oil and fuel pressure, you don't really want those fluids running up a tube to your dashboard. It doesn't matter much for a manifold pressure gauge, since air's all over everything anyhow.

Electronic gauges -such as the factory oil pressure, fuel level, and water temperature gauges- have a sensor which is pressed on, heated by, or otherwise affected by the quantity they're measuring. It tends to keep the messiness in one place that way. The drawback is that you also have to buy the sensor along with the gauge, and in come cases the sensor can cost as much as the gauge.
That is putting it best.

Old 12-23-2004, 01:09 AM

Yeah for like a boost gauge you don't need anything fancy, you will be paying way to much for a greddy HKS, Apexi or any other big name brand. Like for the greddy it has that peak hold feature on the Boost guage ask yourself if you really need that you will pay much less for autometer.

Old 12-24-2004, 11:01 PM

Hey now, autometer may not be japanese but they are a very good quality gauge company and have been on domestic cars for a long time.

Old 12-25-2004, 01:24 AM

I fully agree that autometer is a great gauge company as far as mechanical gauges go.

My statement on the PEAK HOLD features is true for all different types of gauges boost, oil, EGT.

I would NOT use an HKS,GREDDY,or BLITZ for my mechanical stuff.

If you know what the fuction of a EGT is for ask yourself then, do you need the peak hold. If you understand how to read it then YES, you would. PEAK HOLD is pointless for most boost applications, but once you hit the dyno and you are trying to read:

Graph, Logger, Boost, EGT, Oil how can you read them all at the same time while RIPPING off a good run?