2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

gst running rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:36 PM
Default gst running rich

my vent to atmosphere bov may be causing my car to run rich? i read in a post that because your car is expecting more air it adds more gas and the bov dumps the air so its just to rich. is what im thinking if you just remove the bov could that cause any problems?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Default RE: gst running rich

If you remove your b.o.v you won't build any boost.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:48 PM

ahah well thats not going to work i guess ill just have to save up a lil for a better recirculating bov

Old 05-01-2007, 03:00 PM

What BOV do you have? Most of them can be made to recirc.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: matt02708

If you remove your b.o.v you won't build any boost.
WOW!!!....Sorry i had to laugh at that

The BOV has nothing to do with building boost. It does hold boost in while your spooling, and cheaper ones will not hold as well, but removing a BOV and blocking the whole does something totally different. Maybe should should read up on what a bov actually does and why its there.

The reason the bov is there is because when you let off the throttle, instead of having a boost situation in the piping, you then create a vaccuum situation. This then opens the BOV and returns the air to the intake. This is there so that this air will go through the BOV and not try to escape back through the compressor housing of the turbo. The reason you dont want this is because it will cause harm to the turbo bearings and shaft. This is what is called compressor surge. That is why you have a BOV. So YES you do need it

Old 05-01-2007, 03:35 PM

i have this one
http://slowboyracing.com/estore/prod...193&page=1

Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

[:'(]....just get a greddy or something. They are very cheap

Old 05-01-2007, 03:48 PM

lol, I read that too, John... I didnt even want to get into all that... I was just gonna let him believe that to keep from VTA and saving the poor motor the pain and harassment...

Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 PM

i think i am recirculating because the dump tube does go into my intake so that means im recirculating right?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:06 PM

He might get 1 to 2 psi and it will fall on his face. If you think thats an incorrect statement thenplease take your bov off and video tape it and show me you building boost. I never said aB.O.V is themain function ofa car building boost. I was making it simple for him obviously he is not that savy with cars yet and I was trying not to confuse the kid.

The BOV has nothing to do with building boost. It does hold boost in while your spooling
That was the most contradictive statement I have ever read if you don't have a bov then you in fact CAN'T build boost because its not holding the boost in theupper intercooler pipe. Sure you could block it off and get compressor surge all day long but if you did that to prove a point you would be an idiot in yourself,Sorry I had to laugh at that.

Quick Reply: gst running rich