2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

gst running rich

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Default RE: gst running rich

ORIGINAL: austinw23

i think i am recirculating because the dump tube does go into my intake so that means im recirculating right?
Then yes. You are recirculating.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: matt02708

The BOV has nothing to do with building boost. It does hold boost in while your spooling
That was the most contradictive statement I have ever read if you don't have a bov then you in fact CAN'T build boost because its not holding the boost in theupper intercooler pipe. Sure you could block it off and get compressor surge all day long but if you did that to prove a point you would be an idiot in yourself,Sorry I had to laugh at that.
There are ALOT of track cars that function without a BOV. And what i said is completely true. Exactly like you JUST said you can block off the hole. You think someone would just take of a BOV and leave the hole there. Obviously thats a boost leak. He was asking why you need a bov annd all you say is "you wont build boost without it" which is NOT TRUE. the problem with it is the compressor surge of course. But there are track cars that do it. look at Brett Rau. I dont even think he has an intercooler anymore, nvm a bov. But yes i know its a track car only. The point is you can build boost without a BOV. Next time be a bit more specific.

and my statement is not contradictory, because you take a BOV out of the equation and you still have boost.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Austin, you cant recirc an RFL BOV. so i doubt your are recirc. My guess is you have the dump tube attached to the intake but it is blocked on the end. A picture would really help clear this up though

Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 PM

Wow, you know... I think thats the first time Ive seen someone knock Johns posts...

Old 05-01-2007, 06:21 PM

i will put some pictures on my profile in just a few mins here but thanks guys for you help

Old 05-01-2007, 06:35 PM

I think Matt's original post was pointed at this..
ORIGINAL: austinw23

is what im thinking if you just remove the bov could that cause any problems?
I read it as Austin wanting to "just" remove the BOV altogether without blocking off the BOV opening with Matt saying no to this because the air will just take the path of least resistance.
It's kind of like trying to blow into a straw that has a hole in it into a cup full of some liquid trying to make bubbles. Sure you'll make some bubbles, but more of the air will go out the hole (unless you made a tiny hole, cheater).

To the OP, my suggestion to you is for you to get a 1G BOV and a flanged UCIP and recirc it. This way, you keep prices down and it's done correctly and not in a temporary manner.
If an aftermarket BOV is your only mod, then yes, this is most definitely what's causing you to run rich.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 PM

ya it is the only real after market parts besides intake exhaust and the big 16g turbo there is nothing else done to it. im trying to get some pictures of my car online my freakin phone isnt sending them tho so it might not be till tonight i get some pics online. my bov has one tube connected to the thing above my fuel rail (sorry cant think of what its called) and the bov is in a tube that looks like it flows to my stock side mount ic. so i have to get a new bov in order to fix the running rich problem? i thought maybe if i just turned my boost up that would fix it is that wrong? at this point i dont have a mbc yet but i will soon

Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM

Look were not talking about a track or drag car TE hahaha. Were talking about this guys daily driver his question was simple. What will happen if I just remove my b.o.v could that cause any problems? He said nothing about blocking it off, I was simple and to the point and i answered his question adequately. If he just TAKES off his b.o.v he will not build boost because the air will be escaping. Now if he asked can I block off my b.o.v and will my car still run, what are some issues that may arrise if I do this? Then sure I would've wrote a paragraph like you did. Why are you trying to save face by rambling on about some guys track car. No body cares about this guys track car your just further confusing the creator of this thread. Your assuming that he knows it would cause a boost leak if he were to remove it. What do you mean obviously? If he obviously knew it would cause a boost leak he wouldn't of asked the damn question! haha. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest with you TE, i'll let you win and you can have the cookie for going the extra mile and typing out more letters. Congrats.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:54 PM

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/visual-index.htm

Silver posted this up when I was new to DSM's and it helped a ton, maybe this will help you understand your vehicle better.

This is a good picture of a b.o.v recirculated. This is how your b.o.v should look like a RFL b.o.v cannot be recirculated.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:14 PM

ya mine doesnt have that big fat tube coming out of the bov its just attached to some tubing going to the sidemount ic so ill try and get some pics up thanks guys

Quick Reply: gst running rich