2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:05 AM
Default head gasket?

alright on my 4th spark plug found some oil and car use to over heat but it was the themorstat.now am losing coolant but i do have a minor leak and also my coolant bottle did have a bronwish color to it.my oil is not milky and i dont have have white smoke coming out my muffler.man i and i just wasted 600 bucks on changing timing belt

its a 97 rs

Old 01-29-2007, 01:02 AM
Default RE: head gasket?

i'd say timing belt hands down... how does your temp read? when mine was blown my temp was fine utnil i cam to an idle... i had to rev up to about 2k to get it to come back down, the level didnt go down very often (once a month i supose). but when i changed my coolant it was brownish yellow. it was b/c when we took my head off to swap the head gasket, we found where one part was busted and oil was getting into the collant line. honestly it didn't affect my performance that bad but it is bad to be running oil through your coolant lines and engine. but hey, this is only one guy... could be a 20 dollar fix according to somebody else.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:32 AM

My temp arrow stays right inthe middle.It never moves not even a little and i watch itvery closelybecuase i blew my other engine like that.
Would some even buy an engine with a hole in the block the head is fine and it has a new timing belt,with a blown head gasket

also right before i left work my collant bottle was half way and when i got home it was half way more full

Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 AM

may sound kind of wierd but how is your heating? does it take forever to heat up? does it head up at all???? i blew a heater hose in my car and it ran close to what you are talking about (heater runs off of collant lines in our cars) so if you have a leak it will 1 drop the coolant level and 2 affect the heating. if its fine and you check those hoses (on rear of block between back of block and firewall, i'd say check/replace your radiator hoses.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 AM

dude thats were i have my collant leak on my first heater hose in da back but its a small leak.and no thecar doesnt take very long to get to normal temp

Old 01-29-2007, 01:45 AM

hmm.... you say that's where your first leak was, what did you do to fix it?

Old 01-29-2007, 01:50 AM

didnt really fix it 100% since leak was right at da tip i moved it more in i havent really checked on it since then but i dont see any water leaking when i look under car. theres some tight space back there dont know if i can change the hose.

Old 01-29-2007, 01:56 AM

simple fix, 2-3 bucks at auto zone for that hose. seriously. just take it in there tell them you need x amount of hose in this size. that way you KNOW you are fixed! that's prolly ur problem. if not.... i'd check the actual radiator hoses. you can get new ones at auto zone or any other place for like 20-30 bucks, or you can order "performance" basically stock just painted differnt collored ones for 40 shipped

Old 01-29-2007, 01:59 AM

yeah but that doesnt really fix my main problem with my collant bottle having a lil bronish color
and dude while u are helping me out now can u tell me how to do a compression test on our car and also do we use the extension

Old 01-29-2007, 02:03 AM

honestly,i don't know. from what i've heard on the forum, you can rent a tool from advanced auto or auto zone or whatever you prefer to check it but i've never done it or used one. as for the color problem... i'd do a radiator flush and coolant flush, put new coolant in it, run it for a bit (2-3 weeks) and if it's turning brown again there's only one thing it can be from what i know and that's a bad head gasket, the head gasket separates the coolant from the oil but when a part is blown one can get into another (like mine was)

Quick Reply: head gasket?