2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

HELP!!STOLEN 1997 ECLIPSE.HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:24 AM
Default RE: HELP!!STOLEN 1997 ECLIPSE.HELP!!

nope the insurance company could care less all i had was liability at the time. on my new car i get full covreage. I learned my leason on that one. The motor stamp, can you give me an ideal on where it is and the best way to locate it. so all the stamped vin numbers you talk of are just stickers pretty much ya other then the dash( the one thats just missing)and the motor one? someone said something about one on the chassis andsays its super hard to see. i need to find how to locate that one.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

wow, yea that is totally your car. I have heard that mitsubishi actually did an etching of the VIN on the small 1/4 windows and also on the hatch window. People said it is very small but try and find those. Kinda hard to get rid of those without replacing the window.

I will try and find more locations.

EDIT: Ok here is another one. Its only a sticker so it might be gone, but you have to remove the trunk plasics and it is stuck to the back side of the rear 1/4 panel as you can see in the pic. Its small but hopefully they didnt find it
Name:  VIN.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  38.7 KB

Old 11-20-2008, 02:03 PM

Oh yeah, I've seen little stickers like that in the rear panels before. Good one TE.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Ya i know its my car! THese cops im telling you! they are no help at all! Now my car has a anboned sticker on it and is just gonna get towed and after that happens im gonna lose anychance i got to prove its mine im sure. but yes i will check that back panel and windows and hope to god its there! If im not mistaken that picturewas from a first gen eclipse ya? hope itsthe same with 2gen.

why dose mitsubishi use stickers for there vin numbers. from what it seems like mitsubishi is one of the easyest cars to do a vin swap.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:32 AM

Stickers like the ones on the door jam are good deterrents actually. As you see, you can't remove it once it's been stuck on a surface because it falls apart leaving traces of tampering. Those metal plates aren't good deterrents because the rivets can be popped out and replaced though.
That sucks about the cops though, I'd be pissed too. Good luck bro.

Old 11-21-2008, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

yea that picture was from a 1g, but most cars from what i understand put one on the inner rear 1/4 panel because those panels cannot be removed and replaced. So its a part of the body permanently. Hopefully you find something

Old 11-21-2008, 10:24 PM

well the only one that they didnt swap was the ones with the rivets. or how about etched

Old 11-22-2008, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

well the windows were supposedly etched in the small 1/4 window

Old 11-22-2008, 04:21 PM

wow how mature are you to go into forums and bash cars you dont like. must be an exciting life you have.[sm=lame.gif]

Old 11-23-2008, 02:14 AM

it was once my baby and yes right now the car is a piece but idk. I just cant stand leting them get away with it when i know its mine.. but whatever... so ya I went back to the car today and was going through the inside of it. funny has dubble of a lot of parts. It as my old rs door panal an the carbut has the gs panel on the door. has my center console still initbut also the center consol from the 99 gs in there waiting to be swaped. swaped out the little panal that has the button for the rear wiper, and power mirrorsbut my old one without those extra buttons lay in my car. seat belts have a 96 date tag one em but inside the car has an extra pair in the car with 99 tag on em. and to top it off get this. THey swaped out the whole odomiter, speed guage, rpm dash thingand left mineit inthe car still. My car had 109xxx miles on it when it was stolen, now the car reads 58,000. yet inside the car there is another odo with 110xxx. and if thats notenough get this. still has my jiffy lube sticker in the window saying it needed an oil change at 109xxx. one would freakin thing that would be more then enough prof. at least to investagate who these vins matcht to or something but nope. cops can care less at this point ithink. I got pictures of this i will post later. Man this is lame.

Ilooked for the eetch in the 1/4 windows and found nothing really.they have been tinted. would it be under the ruber trim or something?

Quick Reply: HELP!!STOLEN 1997 ECLIPSE.HELP!!