2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Hey everyone, simple Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 AM
Default Hey everyone, simple Question

First off, im a newb, and looking foward to learning from all of you.
Im a member in several other forums so i DO know how to use the search button haha.
I couldnt find an answer my question at this point...

I have a 95 eclipse none turbo, its got a bad rod, not sur wich one yet because i have pulled it out. Anyways, ive been looking for another motor for weeks! Nobody seems to have this motor... Why?? [&:]DOHC 2.0 <~~Does it have to be that same motor? Can i get a later model maybe? Will fit right in?

Thanks guys

Old 03-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Default RE: Hey everyone, simple Question

your looking for a 420A motor. That is the only motor you can fit in. and those motors are not rare they come in a few other cars as well. im sure a junk yard will have one.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Basically your just looking in any 95-99 Eclipse GS or RS, and the 95-99 Talon ESI. That is the most common place you'll find that motor. I know their is one other type of motor that will fit in your car that slow420a talked about. But your best bet is to replace it with the stock motor. It wont be hard to find i dont beleive.

Old 03-20-2006, 10:50 AM

The 95 is a different motor from all of the other years, the crank and bearings fit togather differently. If you can find a whole 95 bottom end it will work, but if you just go to get a new set of bearings they wont work because most aftermarket companys dont make bearings for the 95 420a. Go to a local junkyard and look around. Dodge neons have the same block but different heads so if you can get a block out of a soch or doch neon it will work(as long as its a 2.0). Also some base model dodge avengers, sebrings, pt crusers, and stratuses have the 420a in them. If your looking over the net forget it because shipping for a motor is more then what it would cost to pick up one from a yard.

Old 03-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Another thing to keep in mind when swapping the 420A from these cars in is do a head gasket job. You don't know which ones have had the upgraded gasket and which ones don't. The 420A's are notorious for blowing the gasket in the rear. It won't damage the engine but it leaks oil all over the back of the block leading to a stinky engine as well as using oil between changes.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:20 PM

hey man, I also had a non turbo eclipse, but it was a 97 and now i have a 95 Eclipse GST. You have a 420A motor. When I blew my engine on the 97 Eclipse non-turbo i tried to get a turbo engine. The only turbo engine you can drop in it, is a EVO engine because it is built the same way as the 95-99 non-turbo Eclipse's. If you dont want a turbo engine, you should try asking for the 420A engine, which is what you have. I hope this helps alittle.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah there are plenty of other cars that carry that engine just a matter of finding one with a good engine.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: agallardo

When I blew my engine on the 97 Eclipse non-turbo i tried to get a turbo engine. The only turbo engine you can drop in it, is a EVO engine because it is built the same way as the 95-99 non-turbo Eclipse's.
It will not fit, even though its oreinated the same way you would need to fab up the same things as if to drop in a 4g63 from a gst or gsx. tranny mounts, motor mounts, suspension components, fuel systems, re wiring the whole car. The only pratical way to make a gs, rs, dl, or a esi fast is to turbo the 420a motor.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Can't even bolt the 4G63 up to the 420A trans can you?

Old 03-20-2006, 09:21 PM

WOW! You guys are great, i couldnt have asked for better responces. Lucky for me the motor i found today is from a 1997 & "TheEngineer" answerd what my next question would have been before i asked it
I found this motor about 50 miles away from me, came out of a wrecked 97, has 70k miles on it and is 100% complete. Has everything, from starter to water pump AC, and all the sencors. I hope its an easy swap. I didnt need all the parts becauase i was planning on swaping all my exsisting parts onto a short block-I lucked out i guess.
Now im just going to have a bunch of extra parts, includeing a transmission.

What do you guys think, should i pull the motor from the top, with tranny and all (if it fits) Or should i drop it from the buttom? Ive asked people and and im getting a 50/50 responce. What do you think?

thanks guys

Joe

Quick Reply: Hey everyone, simple Question