2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Hey! some questions about my 2000 eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Default Hey! some questions about my 2000 eclipse

Hey. i just got a 2000 eclipse rs, and i was wondering about a few things, would anyone here reccommend me gettin a cold air intake, and or a comp chip ? i have been looking at some sh*t on ebay and stuff and i cant really seem to figure out if this stuff is good or just a waste of money...someone let me kno if its a waste of money or if it is a good investment....my car is all stock nothing has been done too it yet but im looking to get exhaust on my car, rims and a spoiler and then later on get my system, any help would be appriciated...thanks

Old 08-07-2003, 06:01 PM

can someone please respond ???? someone please help me out

Old 09-08-2003, 01:12 AM

whats up man...basically any modification dealing with better flow is going to give you more power, some more noticable then others obviously.</P>

In terms of CAI (Cold Air Intakes) they are much better then stock restrictive intakes plus the colder the air the better. Chips are great but you really dont need one at this point in time..I would wait until more in depth modification...for the time being stick with the CAI or even a short ram intake...you can go to places like NOPI Online or Auto Dynamic if you dont trust ebay. Pick up a copy of turbo magazine or any other similar tuning magazine and youll see tons of ads for places...be sure to check to see if an eclipse is being featured as well..u can get more ideas that way after your intake move along to the exhaust a more free flowing cat and a less restrictive muffler and you'll have a more sporty engine tone. hope this helps</P>

Old 03-22-2004, 05:56 PM

Alright first of all if you really want to get some in depth information on the 3G eclipse go visit and join www.neweclipse.org I have been a part of those forums since August 01' and they have helped many times, and for the most part everyone is friendly.</P>

Now as for your intake, I have one (I have an 00' GT) but it is a relatively cheap thing to do that actually does quite a bit for the price..."bang for the buck". Plus the stock air box sucks. *no pun intended*</P>

About the chip...plain and simple: Don't buy one. The reason being is because our cars DO NOT have chips. Everything is controled via ECU (Electronic Control Unit). Now that is not to say that you cannot do anything for the car in that particular aspect. In older cars and some domestics and a few imports today they have chips that you replace based on you modifications and so on. Our cars what you would have to do is find someone to re-flash your ECU. Which means they re-program it to suit whatever type of driving you would be doing and what you have done to your car. Now since you just bought the car and don't have anyting one, I would not even think about that yet. That is something that you would think about way in the future. The stock ECU is actually quite capable of handling more than you might think.</P>

Spend your money on some headers, exhaust, AFR (Air-Fuel Regulator) *if you get headers, they tend to yield another 15 or so if you tune them with an AFR*. Or even a turbo kit or supercharger kit. There is one supercharger kit that has done wonders for the 3G and the company and people are all very easy to talk to and keep in touch with. There are a few options for turbos, but if you visit the above site you will find more information than you know what to do with.</P>

Hope this all helped, I know it was a little lengthy.</P>

Old 03-25-2004, 07:11 PM

The only thing "chips" do is alter the resistance with a resistor in the lines, creating a false feed to the ECU, making for leaner or richer a/f ratios. Sometimes they advance timing, other cool minor stuff like that.

Old 03-25-2004, 10:53 PM

But there still isn't anyone who makes a chip for this car because you can't.

Old 03-26-2004, 12:26 AM

You can always make a chip, but nobody has. an ECU is a computer, it does what you tell it too. There are always ways of modding the signal.

Old 03-26-2004, 01:49 AM

ECU is primarily a ROM board. Since the introduction of OBD2 in 1992, Manufacturers have been forced to shy away from a programmable type of ECU. In 1996, every car produce must have a compliant type of OBD2.Ford and GM had their own versions which were still compliant to the, however every other type of manufacturer includingChrysler and the Japanese use the ISO standard.An OBD2 ECU is very hard to hack...primarily since it has it's own diagnostic system logger. If it senses anything has been modded or changed on the ECU, it reverts back to a "Safe Setting" for a period of time.So you won't be able to mod the ECU directly, but will have to alter a signal from a sensor before it reachs the ECU. Hence the Piggybacks.