2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Hiss and No Power at 4500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
Default Hiss and No Power at 4500 RPM

I have experienced this problem for a few days now. I have good power all the way up to 4500 RPM and then I hear a hiss (sounds like air) while I lose power. Has anyone else had this problem?

2003 Eclipse GT
No Modifications

Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Default RE: Hiss and No Power at 4500 RPM

Do you have a turbo on your car? I have a 95 GST, and I have the exact same problem. But i really have no idea what it is?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:10 PM

Check your air filter and see if it's clogged or wet. I've had complaints before where the intake would give out a loud whistle during high rpm's and i've found the cause to be a very dirty and wet air filter. With this weather we've been having across the nation- this might be your problem.

Joel, CA

Old 04-05-2006, 11:41 PM

this is your problem...

check to see if you are missing one or both of these. there should be two plastic rivets holding the stock intake down. most likely, yours are gone. when you hit around 4500rpms, the engine rocks back causing the intake to suck to the bottom of the hood. thats why you are losing power. no air = no power

Old 04-06-2006, 12:35 AM

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

this is your problem...

check to see if you are missing one or both of these. there should be two plastic rivets holding the stock intake down. most likely, yours are gone. when you hit around 4500rpms, the engine rocks back causing the intake to suck to the bottom of the hood. thats why you are losing power. no air = no power
jerk you beatr me too it.... now doubt in my mind it is this...stock air box not pinned down suctions the hood. did it in my spyder and happens to alot of 3Gs

Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

ORIGINAL: eclipsed4u

this is your problem...

jerk you beatr me too it.... now doubt in my mind it is this...stock air box not pinned down suctions the hood. did it in my spyder and happens to alot of 3Gs
yeah, it happened to me also before i got my intake. i actually had to figure out what the problem was. nobody could tell me what the problem was when i was having it.

Old 04-06-2006, 01:14 PM

Does this just happen to a 3G? Because I have a 2G.

Old 04-06-2006, 02:08 PM

Thank you, guys. I didn't know this forum existed before I had this problem, but it is a Godsend. The 2 plastic rivets were sheared off and the intake would lift off the metal to which it was meant to be attached. This resulted in no air getting to the cylinder. Indeed, one of the rivets was in the bottom of my air filter box. I was convinced this would be a big expensive problem, but it cost me $1.30 in plastic rivets and took 5 minutes to fix.

Thank you guys so much.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: agallardo

Does this just happen to a 3G? Because I have a 2G.
it happens more often on the 3G because of the crappy plastic rivets and the sucky engine mounts. if the 2G stock intake is held down by plastic rivets, then it could happen.

ORIGINAL: mclees

Thank you, guys. I didn't know this forum existed before I had this problem, but it is a Godsend. The 2 plastic rivets were sheared off and the intake would lift off the metal to which it was meant to be attached. This resulted in no air getting to the cylinder. Indeed, one of the rivets was in the bottom of my air filter box. I was convinced this would be a big expensive problem, but it cost me $1.30 in plastic rivets and took 5 minutes to fix.

Thank you guys so much.
glad we could help.

Old 04-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Yep sometimes the most difficult problems can be the simplest fixes. Just have to know what to look for and who to ask

Quick Reply: Hiss and No Power at 4500 RPM