2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

I need some major advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Default I need some major advice

Hey guys. To start off, Im a 19 year old 99 Eclipse GS owner. And I came across my car because my good friend went into the military and sold me his car for 2K. I didnt really think to much about mods or speed. But I did add an AEM cold air intake to hopefully increase my MPGs. I also got a 1K stereo system and tinted windows. Like I said noting much, I didnt really think about mods. But now Im really considering moding my car.. or selling it to get a GSX or GS-t. I dont know too much about cars. but I do know that I want a 99 eclipse. My questions are.. Should I sell my car and get a GSX/GS-t? Or should I put a new motor in my car. ( I saw some VTEC engines in LA for about $500. But again.. I dont know very much about cars so idk if this would be good) And I was thinking of turboing my car.. But I have 131K miles on it.. so idk if it will hold up..(I doubt it lol) Theres just so much confusion on what I should do. If I do sell my car.. how much should I sell it for? Can my 1K system fit in a GSX? Should I put the system in the GSX? What is a good price for a GSX? And if I do get a GSX.. can I mod it with the stock engine.. or would I have to get a rebuilt one.. or just get some parts for it? (remember I dont know much about cars.. haha) Any help would be great! =] Oh and.. how much can I get for my car? Its in good condition, and I put alot of replacement parts such as new door handles, new shifter and boot. New clutch, and new OZ racing wheels. I was thinking around 5K but idk.. too much? too little?

Old 04-08-2008, 02:31 PM
Default RE: I need some major advice

do a search?

Old 04-08-2008, 03:28 PM

a Vtec will not fit if your car to start off with... Next is you are much better off getting a GSX (all wheel drive turbo) or GST (Front wheel drive turbo) because it is turbo and you will start at 210hp insted of 140hp like you are now. You can do a ron of mods on the GSX/GST with the stock motor they can hold up to 350+ on the stock internals but that is pushing it. You can get a lot of gains just from bolt on things like intake and exhaust. Plus you will save a ton of money in the long run. Your system WILL fit into the GSX/GST they have basicially the same interiors. So you should probobly just keep that. I would think you could maybe get like $3000-$4000 if your car is is really good shape (depending on your area) a clean GSX can be had for $6000 or a clean GST $5000 or under.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:19 PM

eww!!! thats a crime againsthumanity putting a VTEC into a eclipse.

but yea if your lookin for power...buy GSX or GST (i'd try to look for a GSX because of the AWD) i wish i would waited the couple of weeks andbought one.but i love my GST just as much

Old 04-08-2008, 08:33 PM

Well thats why Im here.. I didnt know a VTEC wouldnt fit in my car. I want to learn all there is before I go and do something stupid to my car.. (like put 50 shots of nitrous in my stock GS lol) I found this GST on autotrader and it had pretty much all of the basic mods. Hes got a picture of a dyno test and hes got around 400 HP in his car. But hes selling it for 9K. Is that worth it? (Heres the link so you can see everything he has in his car. Looks like a good deal to me. )
GST

And I was also wondering.. If money wasnt an option, how far could you get a 99 eclipse up to? (Ive heard as much as 610 HP) Just wondering lol. The last thing I was wondering was what are all of the mods I should get if I were to get a GSX/GST? Im asking because I went to the site modacar.com and it has soo many different things for my car. But the thing is idk what is good and whats not. If someone can provide me with a list of things that are just basics, (intake, exhaust, headers, intercooler, upgraded turbo) and a list of just like.. the whole 9 yards. That would be great. and thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 PM

thats way too much for that car. car mods DO NOT add value to a car. i think with the benefit of the doubt with all his mods to his car and sound system added...i say its worth 6 TOPS and i thinkthats high. all he has are basic mod (for the turbo 2g's), stock motor internalsprobably and his mileage is a little high for a 99 in my opinion. i say offer 6k if you want it. hes probably gonna tell you to go to hell but no way in hell is it worth 9k.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Im sorry but for someone just getting into cars that 99 eclipse is alittle too much for you IMO. Youll be getting into a car thats alittle more advanced then i think you should be handling. But thats just what i think.

TJ, i know sebba says all that crap about mods dont add value, and to a point i think that can be true. But when a car as a really nice setup with a 16g like this GSt and seems to be in good condition, i dont think thats something that can be totally ignored IMO. I do beleive the price is a bit high, but i dont think that 7k for it is out of the question.

Now back to the OP. You need to use the search button. Im not trying to be a jerk, but these are very basic questions that are asked all the time. Everyone is going t say buy a GSt/GSX and the reason is that they are simply alot better to mod and easier. Now that isnt to say that the GS isnt capable, it just takes more money, experience, and time. While with a GST you have a really good base to start with right away and simple mods can add horsepower.

For people just starting out its best to stick with the basics such as exhaust, and intake. Then gettinga MBC and a boost guage. Once your at that point with the car then it may be time to look into more advanced mods. And hopefully by that time youll have the knowledge to do it. Hope this helps. And please understand im not trying to make fun of you. Im just trying to be realistic

Old 04-09-2008, 10:06 AM

yeah your right.well mods dont add abunch a value like i think this guy is thinking selling the GST... i guess it depends on the mods, and how clean the car is,and i guess i would have to see the car myself to make a accurate judgment on how much i think the car is worth if i was buying it.

but if i were you and your just starting out with these cars and dont know much. i would suggest buying a stock GST/GSX and read up on how to make more power and do it yourself. anybody could buy a modded car. but you wont appreciate it as much in my eyes. i think its moresatisfying to build the car up your self with parts you want on it. not what somebody else wanted on their car. but thats just my two cent.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:30 PM

lol...the only question i ask iswhy did this guy(gst seller)dump all kinds of $$$under the hood if its "never been raced". The car does look good though, but its not worth9k. IMO stay away from a car that has major mods on it before you buy it.Start off with a stock Gst or GSX(if you can one) you get more power for the money. Also, build ityourself,that way you know what you did and youhave the satisfaction of know you built it and not someone else.That is if you know what your doing.....