2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

IDLE/ECU WIRING PROBLEM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Default IDLE/ECU WIRING PROBLEM?

Ok, so I own a '95 eclipse RS 420a automatic, and I've owned it for about a year. It's a very temperamental car, and has given me little problems here and there, and I've always been able to fix them. However, I am absolutely stumped with this new problem facing my eclipse. The problem sorta came out of nowhere just recently. When at a stop sign, or whenever the rpm's drop lower than about 1000, the car DIES out and all the lights flash on. I had a theory that it was the ECU, so i bought a new, refurbished one, which did nothing. then i took a closer look at th ewiring harness to the ECU, and it looks pretty worn. I'm confused at to whether I'm even remotely on the right track, because when i rearrange the ECU, it starts back up, then will die on me repeatedly. However, it will also drive fine at times. I don't understand; it dies out, I have to pull off to the side of the road, wiggle the wiring, then it starts and drives.
Also, the RPM's seem to jump about uncontrollably. when the car dies out while in motion, there's no way to restart it; pressing the gas pedal does nothing. Check Engine light comes on sometimes, while other times it doesn't, which leads me to believe that the engine isnt even receiving signals from the ECU. Perhaps it's just a coincidence? Could cleaning the throttle body help fix it? I just replaced the cam sensors, so would it be advisable to also replace the crank sensor position sensor? Would that fix it? Or maybe it's the ISC? I'd hate to assume it's something big, replace it, and still be back at square one. If anyone can shed some light on this problem, that'd be great. I'm thinking about selling my car already, so someone else can deal with this, but I'd hate to do that, being as 1. I love my car 2. I put so much blood sweat and tears into it and 3. this car is FRICKEN RARE and hard to find, especially on this tiny rock in the middle of the Pacific!

[hr]
HELP ME PLEASE!!! [:@][&o]

Old 11-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: IDLE/ECU WIRING PROBLEM?

If you wiggle the harness and the car runs fine I would suspect some kind of wiring issue. Take a real close look at the area your wiggling and see if any of the wires are chaffed together.