2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Ignition Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM
Default Ignition Wiring

I have been having problems getting my 97 GST started for a while now. I will turn the key over anywhere from 2 - about 100 times before it will kick in. Starter is verified good, new battery. I tried jumping the ign. relay and still had the click, click, click. Some cold mornings it fired right up, some it took 3-5 minutes of trying. Same after work.

Friday I am driving home and I almost notice a tiny wisp of what looked like smoke come up from my steering column. Strange I thought and I felt quickly underneath it just in case I might notice a hot wire. The wires were warm but not hot. Next thing I know I am coasting so I quickly -for some unknown random reason, try messing with the wiring and presto back come the engine lights and I rolling fast enough to compression start it back up. This happens two more times on the way home.

Now it is parked at home and today I thought I would check out the wiring. I found what I presume is a main battery wire - white (burned brownish on the end for about 1/2 inch. There is also a turbo timer installed. I have never used it - it came with the car. Doesn't make a lot of sense in a stick shift anyway. Anyone want it?

I figured I might as well take that out since I am under there and have the kick panel under the steering wheel out. They used a 6-pin harness which is wired off of the regular harness(also 6 pin). I looked at it very carefully and noticed that there were four wires going in on one end(red, blue, green, white) plus two white wires with nothing on the back side. On the battery side(??) there are five wires - a large white one(powered), blue w/black, a black with white stripe, black w/red, and a blue. Red matched up to the big white one, green to blue w/blk, blue went to black/white and white to the black/red. I have no idea what goes to blue. It used to have one of the white ones which didn't seem to have any connection on the other end.

I snipped the burned wire, put a connector back on it and got it back into the plug. There are only four wires going to that though and that might be the problem. Now there is no power to the starting system. The interior lights work, the key beeps while in the ignition but no engine lights.

Any thoughts on what I am up against. I think I am up to taking it in and having someone who knows wiring but just in case...??

Doug

Old 12-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Default photos

Here are the two ends of the connection. 4 wires go in, 5 go out. Hmmmmm??

Attached Thumbnails Ignition Wiring-dscf7208.jpg