2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

IM GOING TO DO IT FINALLY

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Default IM GOING TO DO IT FINALLY

Ok Ive done the research through the forums, read up on things, and asked people on the board for there advice. I finally have enough money to make my Spyder GS a 4g64t. I just need a few questiones answerd that I couldn't find by searching and if I some how missed it I apologize in advanced to the members that are constantley bugged by this question. Ok here we go:

1. Is the 2g 2.0L head DOHC a direct bolt on, and if not what will I need to do?

2.I have also reviewed a parts list on what I need but I was wondering what parts do I need at the time of the head swap. In other words since I am planning to turbo it what turbo parts can I throw on before I actually put on the turbo and what can I put on before I swap the head.
(parts list) http://www.4g64.com/users/raycer97/2g_parts.htm

Example: Im getting a CatBack Flowmaster Exhaust and I know my car can function with that for now without the turbo

There we go just 2 questions. The first one my mechanic wanted to know. The 2nd one I forgot to ask him so I wanted to know. Thanks. And I apologize in advance if this has been answerd before i searched through 7 pages on the forum of this topic and these are the only 2 questions I have left.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Default RE: IM GOING TO DO IT FINALLY

This site should answer all that you need to know..
http://www.extremeevolutions.com/4G64_buildup.htm

Here's another 5 pages to read about this swap from Tuners
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49472 ...just replace the asterisks with D S M T U N E R.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:46 AM

this might be a stupid question but the stock 4g64 engine is 7 bolt right? Im taking mechanic classes so im still learning bare with me haha. Those websites answerd everything exept what parts I could throw on until I do the actual turbo. And by the looks it seems like for the head swap you need it all at once right?

Old 08-07-2007, 02:12 AM

Yes and yes.
Unless you find an older Hyundai GC4S (I think that's what it was), which is a 6 bolt, then you have a 7 bolt. There really seems to be no need to go with a 6 bolt in this case....just so you know, the newer version of the 4g63 found on EVOs 4 - current use a 7 bolt. Oddly, the crank is the same as the 7 bolts found in the 2G 4g63 cars.

Unless I misunderstood you, it seems that you want to add parts from the 4g63 head onto the 4g64 head to turbo it, correct? If so you'd only be doing things twice if you put parts on now, only to swap them over onto the 4g63 head later. Don't rush it and do it right and once.
I suggest getting both the block and the head cleaned and checked so that you can start with a "fresh" motor as opposed to adding two parts from two motors only to find out later that the deck wasn't within tolerance or even the head. Get the head rebuilt with new parts and 3 revision lifters (aka 3G lifters or 3rd gen [not 3rd gen Eclipse lifters]). You may be able to get away with the parts in the head as it sits, but you'll put in double the work if you have to rebuild because of lifter tick or floating valves because the springs were worn, blah, blah.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator

there really isnt much you can put on without the turbo. Because everything goes right with it like the manifold, downpipe, intake, IC pipes, IC, fuel system, tuning, ect. Its all one package so thats why turboing a NT car takes time and is usually impossible to do with a daily driver car

Old 08-07-2007, 09:02 AM

TheEngineer said it all... swapping an engine or turbo'ing a N/A car is nearly impossible w/ a DD because of how time consuming it is. you can have everything planned out to a T but you will run into some kind of hinderance 99% of the time... whether it's clearance, parts, bolts, belts etc etc etc the list is endless. So are you planning on throwing a DOHC head on it and putting a turbo on the stock bottom end of the 4g64? or are you planning a full 4g63t swap? i'm sure you have already looked in to htis but IF you are planning on putting the DOHC head on it and throwing a turbo kit on it you will be very limited to the amount of boost you can run without rebuilding the bottom end or throwing a 4g63t bottom end in there.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:14 PM

its not going to take much time or that much money ive been through mechanic and mechanic thats why im not that worried. and as far as the intercooloer piping or anything that requires custom pipeing i got an estimate for $120. Im getting a Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System made for a turbo car is this a good system? anyways im going through with this and I think it will be a good project. Is there any other road blocks because I wanted to get the head swap done first then save up a little more then add the turbo. Correct me if im wrong but can't you run it with a 4g63 head without a turbo? Then in the mean time ill be buying the turbo setup little by little. I even found a GSX at the junkyard. Has a lot of clean parts. Will the GSX parts work? He's parting it out cheap. And as far as the boost controller and all that go I found some good prices on some other guy whose parting out his car so it seems to be comming together. Is there anything else I need to know. Thanks