2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

inertia switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Default inertia switch

sup guys i havent been around in a while and i still havent gotten my talon running yet for those of you whoe remember my last posts...anyways someone told me that there was a fuel pump shut off switch that might be contributing to my no spark no fuel problem but i cant figure out where it goes. i cant find it in my hanes manual but the part was ordered for a 1995 eagle talon esi so i know it goes on the car somewhere...also could my timing contribute to a no spark no fuel problem...lemme know if anyone has any ideas...thanks guys

Old 08-12-2007, 01:49 AM
Default RE: fuel pump shut off switch

Look in the FAQ section, I have a thread for the N/A cars and their ASD relays. That fuel/spark cutoff switch is called the ASD relay. If you're not getting fuel/spark, it's most likely that.
Yes, your timing can give you this issue too, since the crank and cam sensor send the signal of timing to the ECU which sends the fuel and spark signal. If the timing signal is off, whether it be the sensor or timing, you won't get fuel/spark. Both sensors have to pick up a signal within spec before the ECU OKs it.

Actually, it was called Firewall relay info (2G N/A).

Old 08-14-2007, 12:04 PM

hey silver...i read that one already and replaced both of those relays but the switch im talking about isnt a relay...its an actual switch...it has two wires that run to the switch part that kind of looks like a button...ive had people tell me its either in the passanger floorboard under the dash or in the trunk by the fender well...i'll try to find a pic and post it so everyone can see what it looks like...

Old 08-14-2007, 05:43 PM

There shouldn't be a manual switch for the fuel pump or an ASD type switch that turns off the injectors and cuts the timing signal. The only way you would have one is if the previous owner wired one up to it in fear of the car being stolen. A track car would have a battery cutoff switch in the rear as stated in the track guidelines for cars that have their battery in the rear. If you don't have the battery in the rear, then you don't need that cutoff switch.
Unless your buddy was playing with you, the only "cutoff switch" a stock car would have is the ignition switch. The rest of the switches are all automatic being that they are relays.

So, unless your car has been modified, you don't have a "cutoff switch" bro.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:00 PM

well its not like a manual switch like that its an automatic switch of some sort or another...by switch i meantit was a relay it was an actual switch...you dont flip it or anything like that...its gotta be on there somewhere b/c when i ordered the part from advanced they pulled it right up from under 1995 eagle talon esi...idk the mechanic told me it might be back by the tail lights but i havent seen anything like it...it weird i hope im not pissing anyone off..

Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM

this is what the part looks like...http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...99&PTSet=A

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM

Aww man, you're not pissing anyone off.
I've never seen or heard of any cutoff switch like that in the E/T or A/S (since they use the same 420a motors). Every switch in the car is a relay. Switches like those are aftermarket and can be added to an existing alarm system bro.
I can't find anything like that in CAPS, not that it's an end all, but the closest thing to what you're looking for is a fuel vapor leak detector and that looks to be mounted in the rear somewhere. But it's a leak detector and has nothing to do with spark. The Coil, Plugs, Wires, Transistor, ECU, ASD, Cam, and Crank sensor provides that support and signal for spark.
I don't know what to tell you bud. That switch that you show is an aftermarket one if the locations are where you say it is. Most of the things that come stock with any car is relay operated if that particular system needs a switch and most relays have at least 3 wires going to it. If you do have that switch and one was ordered for your car...I'm curious as to why? It's not stock that's for sure. Who ordered that switch anyway? The previous owner?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:15 AM

well the thing was i could never find it on the car so i took it back and got my money back for it...i called mitsu and they told me that the part didnt exist on the car either which was going right along with what you were telling me so i decided to go get a bunch of relays and see what happened but still nothing so i must have an ecu problem im tired of sinking cash into this car its definately not worth it so i think im just gonna junk it and look for what ive wanted to begin with...another gst...

Old 08-18-2007, 09:16 AM

thanks though silver i appreciate your help lol i meant to put this in the other part haha...just wish this car wasnt a major piece of crap

Old 08-29-2007, 09:04 AM

The enertia Switch is used for this purpose . when you are involved in a accident or upside down in a ditch . this switch shuts down the fuel pump to prevent feeding a fire.. all newer cars with electric in tank fuel pumps will have this switch..