2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Input needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Default Input needed

Hows it going everyone I am new as you all can tell a friend put me on to this forum cause all my car problems. I been looking for answers for a while from friends that are stuck with civics and accords. But I was reading through all the posts to find out my problems and it doesnt seem n e one is having the same problems as me or hasnt faced it yet. OK 1 I got a 96 mitsu eclipse spyder gs. I was reading in one of you posts that this engine is the underdog so to speak. I want to know if I can bolt a 4g63 exhaust manifold and turbo on to my engine. If so what all would I need to do this. Another intersting thing you said that kind of intriuged me is that my car is on a AWD chasis. Does this mean that I can put a AWD suspension in it and make it AWD? If so what would it take for a project like that. I am deployed in Iraq now and when I get back I got a month off of buying parts and upgrading my car. My goal is to make my car have 400hp with the boost turned up but I want to run it around everyday at about 350 or so. I am not claiming to be smart on this but I am looking for your opinions on what I can do to get it there. I already want to buy a new engine and replace the internals. Or would it just be cheaper to rebuild myself? And if it would be cheaper how hard is it to rebuild a engine and swap out the pistons cams bulletproof the head and so on? I am looking to spend about 3-5g's on the inside of the engine this is including a 25-50 shot of nitrous. OK this is all I really got on the engine subject my next problem is my door.
My driver side door do to the rain (I posted a post in one of the previous post's that my top leaks around the edges of the gasket on the roof were it meets the window on both sides) so I think door open light wont go out. My friend jerry rigged something up so now the light dont ever come on except when the passenger door is open. I wanted to know how to fix this and the leak I am having. Also last post I did another problem I am having is that my top wont seel with the frame right. the latches dont hold it tight I found cigarette foil holds it down but I want another solution. Tried twisting the actual piece and bent it was like fuc* so I bent it back. N E Suggestion here too? also when the tin foil is in it barely leeks*
My last problem is my check engine light. I have tried for the past year to blow the engine in my car. Needless to say I went through a clutch 2 rims and a oil pan (dont ask). I know I wasnt trying my hardest but still for 112k this engine is running good. Still beats the new cavs and neons out there. Back to the subject it started when I replaced the intake. I put a aftermarket intake on it and had to disconnect the sensor for the intake. I got creative drilled a hole in the intake and cut the sensor out of the stuck intake and gorilla glued it into place. alls it did was make my car stall out. and with the new intake my car idles at like 1500 rpm which isnt normal I dont think it normally idled at like 500 if I am not mistaken. If you guys can help me out I would appreciate it. Sending my shouts from Baghdad Iraq! oh and I promise if you guys give me answers I wont get drunk and work on my car n e more will wait till afterwards!

Old 05-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Default RE: Input needed

it would be better and easier for you to go with a turbo kit. buying the parts will take some modding to make work. about the AWD thing.. no. you'd have to get a new tranny and transfer case and blah blah, LOT OF MONEY! I wasn't aware that it sat on the AWD chasis, but perhaps.

lol, don't work on your car drunk, or high, or anything else. it will make you think of **** to do that "dude, that would be awesome! lets try it" and F's stuff up. haha, but yeah, about your intake, can't help with that cause I have the 4g63 GSX so your intake is diff than mine. wonder why it didn't come ready for the sensor though.. weird.. did you make the intake? hmm.. about your door.. mine did the same.. I went to the dealership and got new rubbers for all seals including the sunroof. MUCH BETTER.

Old 05-25-2004, 01:07 PM

Hey Burnt I appreciate the advice heh. I was doing a little reasearch on the net and found this sit http://www.4g64.150m.com/performance.html it shows how to actually do a turbo swap from a 4g63t to a 4g64 I was suprised cause I could of swore that I tried this search 1000 times and never found this site. But here it provides a detailed list of what you need what you should buy new parts and pictures to help you out along the way. But the post thats on page 5 of the listings SpyderGS is the one who said about the spyder gs being on a awd chasis and that a lot of the parts (according to the web page above this appears to be really true) are interchangeable. I kind of was asking more along the lines if the engines were interchangeable. I think they might be but it seems like a better idea to stick with the 4g64 engine and turboing it then going with a 4g63t and just swapping out the turbo. What are your thoughts on it? Also doing a little snooping around I saw a head swap from a 4g63t to a 4g64 why would you do that any idea? I am looking to make my car around 375-400hp before nitrous I would like to run mid 12's. If you have any ideas how to do it then let me know. I will have about 8-9g's to spend on it when I get out of the army. Also I am looking for a place to get cheap body kit fenders hood and basically cosmetic stuff? would you go with ebay or like actual companies? Holla back! Oh yeah thanks for telling me about the seal problem I will have to get my mom to take it to a dealership to get it done. Oh yeah also n e idea were to find parts for the inside of my car? I need new door panel bottoms steps. I also wanted to know about changing out the mirrors how hard is that to do? Yeah I want to know a lot

[IMG]local://upfiles/1269/6F249DAE15F94BA18857871064297D66.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2004, 01:13 PM

Heh one other thing how hard is it to change out quarter panels I know they are welded on but my driver side quarter panel got hit and the driver was unisured I got the dent pulled but there is one spot near the ground were it wont pull back out and stay out I wanted to replace it but there are a few body shops that said they can do it. I am not too good with body work never have been would it be easier to replace or you say let the body shop do it for 1000? On the same note I was racing a civic and the ****er cut infront of me when I hit fourth I ran into the back of him (guess he wasnt shifting right or something but I hit him pretty good) and it busted my passenger side fender and messed up the radiator mount. I got new parts for it and used a rope and a tellephone pole to pull it out enough to get it were it looks ok got new fenders and a new hood and bumper and headlight but the hood sits a little down on that side and I need to replace the mount. Any idea how to replace the mount what needs to be done to it? I would appreciate any websites you could put me on for doing this or if there is like a disk I could get to tell me step by step instructions for doing stuff to cars that would be great. Am also looking for cd's or tutoriols on how to strip a car down to be painted again if ya got any help would appreciate it.

Doug
96 eclipse spyder GS

Old 05-28-2004, 03:53 PM

paint?? lol, lots of sandpaper!

for cosmetic stuff.. wow, there are TONS of places to go for that. Don't go ebay though. maybe for your mirrors and fender, but NEVER for the kit. sometimes the kits are very not right and you NEED to be dealing with the vendor to make things right. try Visionautodynamics.com, OR get the new sport compact. there are many vendors with cosmetics listed all over in there. that would be the best bet.
im not real sure about the fenders, cept that I would have beaten the **** out of that honda driver. 1. for cuttin in front of you and 2. for driving a honda! lol,
as for all of that money.. hmm, thats a lotta cash man. OTHER than the turbo kit/engine swap. go for the good stuff. exhaust, since you have the money, go with tanabe. they are straight from Japan, and are THE BEST in the bus. 400whp. heres the list

big16g turbo or bigger
full exhaust w/test pipe
660cc injectors
S-Afc OR new EMS
def need a boost controller, manual or auto
turbo timer
upgraded fuel rails
Intake
FMIC and piping
BOV
Port your intake mani, exhaust mani, O2 housing
oh, and you will need a stronger clutch/pressure plate to hold your torque increase

that should get you almost there, or at least make some V8s sweat!

Old 05-29-2004, 11:27 AM

Allright I will take this info with a grin save it and wait till I get home and start buying! I also wanted to know what gears I need or what I need to do to get my cars top speed higher? Its like in 4th I can get to 105 almost redline then 5th brings me to 115 and wont go any higher? would you recomend one of them venom ecu chips? or maybe swapping the gears out? I am clueless what to do I would like my car to be able to top out at 150-180. Last thing I remember someone mentioning something about a cd you can buy that is kind of a how too guide to fix your eclipse any idea what it is? Will catch you later thanks for your input!