Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/)
-   -   Just bought my first car. Update: First problem? (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-63/just-bought-my-first-car-update-first-problem-17917/)

kryptekz 04-09-2007 01:51 AM

Just bought my first car. Update: First problem?

Been looking for months now and I think I made the right choice. Mitsubishi eclipse rs. I know it doesn't have the greatest engine with turbo etc... I figured I already have little money and I really only need a car to get around the city. This is the link I got it from
Cars.com (car pics no longer available, btw...silvercoupe97)
and I was suprised on how great condition it was in. The headgasket was already replaced, no leaks and all the known engine problems have been taken care of. I got the car for 5000, he originally asked 6k then brought it down to 5250. What I would like to know is what the true gas mileage is on this car, would insurance be high? I figured it wouldn't be too high, but then again I am probably wrong.Once again, I know its not manual but I think i was lucky to find this car in my area, since the car market in ohio isn't too great. I was going to replace the stock radio first, since it sounded like a pos. Whats the first upgrade I should work towards at? Any other comments would be helpful.I always thought the eclipse was aimed at chicks but this car looked fine to me. I think the newer generation is a bit aimed more to women but thats just my opinion. I just signed up, so thanks for the help and comments.

**link shortened to keep page size down**

Sebba 04-09-2007 01:53 AM

RE: Just bought my first car.

You overpaid hugely

kryptekz 04-09-2007 01:56 AM

In ohio, theres not much out here, it was only a few miles from my house. I mean I was looking at a honda yesterday with 145,000 miles for 5600. That was just a civic and this is very common in my area. I knew i was going to get flamed but I look at the kbb value and it was already below it. I would say that the car is in good condition and for that price, its at 6k. Also this car has the same engine as my moms dodge stratus, so working on the engine wouldn't be a big difference. I mean look at http://dayton.craigslist.org/car/
The prices are significantly different than someone as california.

Sebba 04-09-2007 02:03 AM

Im not flaming you dude at all. You havnt done anything wrong. I was just letting you know, thats double what the car is worth

kryptekz 04-09-2007 02:11 AM

i didn't think you were flamming me,actually your helping with the comments, i was just showing i wasn't a total idiot on my part when buying the car lol. I could have probably negotiated a little more but the car is in great shape, only 80k miles in 9 years. Thats considered low mileage on my part.

Sebba 04-09-2007 02:13 AM

Its all good man lol

antlip 04-09-2007 02:39 AM

5000 for a 98RS with 80,000 miles aint that bad. I wouldnt say thats double the value. You could get some beat to death car with paint peeling off and ripped up seats for 2500. From the pics the paint looks good still and the intertior doesnt look bad from what I see.

darknigh7th 04-09-2007 08:23 AM

i paid 5500 for my gsx, had to drive 5 hours for it, but she's completely stock save for the 18s on it. i don't know if thats a good deal but i ertainly hope it was lol

Dusty Eclipse 04-09-2007 10:20 AM

I payed 6200 for my TSi... that had a bunch of **** done to it... that I was barely even aware of, lol.... Thats much too much for a 420a....

NYMaNiAk 04-09-2007 01:10 PM

damn.. considering the prices u guys paid for ur gsxs... i feel bad that i live in new york.. cheapest one i can find is around 8000 for a 97.. that includes lookin into new jersey and connecticut.. im just gonna keep lookin...

Dusty Eclipse 04-09-2007 01:45 PM

lol,get mycars from Florida... for some reason they seem to be cheaper there...

I Drive Naked 04-09-2007 08:58 PM

Being as I drive a 99 RS, i'm gonna give you some of my experience on it.
I got my car for $4,600 + TTL & ext. warranty, it totalled at $5,700.
Car has 52,000 miles.
Gas mileage is not phenominal, but not bad.
If not already done, change your plugs & wires, fuel filter, pcv valve, clean out your throttle body, and change your fluids.
After that, you should be looking at an mpg of about 27hwy, 21-23cty... atleast, thats about what I get.
I've had many minor problems with mine in the last couple months, and one major problem the warranty covered.
My transmission decided to spontaneously combust internally, so needed a new tranny.
Belt squealled its head off, change both belts and the tensioner.
Alternator went out. New Battery. Set of tires. Door handle broke. blah blah blah

But please don't let that alarm you, my car sat for 8 months or so before I decided to buy it.
Its now a very smooth riding and reliable vehicle, and I like it more than I liked my 2005 F150.

You overpaid by about $500 IMO, but you still scored a nice car.
Find out the last time the timing belt was changed. Its imperitive thats done every 60k.

And as far as insurance is concerned, my car requires fullcoverage b/c of the loan on it, so I pay around $190 a month, and a $200 a month note.
Liability only waslike $70, but I have a spotless record.

Sebba 04-09-2007 09:00 PM

Good post!

I Drive Naked 04-09-2007 09:02 PM

Hey, i'm the man with the answers on the RS.
lol

Sebba 04-09-2007 09:06 PM

You have a long way to go before you claim that title. Slow420a OWNS

I Drive Naked 04-09-2007 09:11 PM

hahahaha

Ok, i'll claim a spot in the top 10.

[8D]

kryptekz 04-09-2007 09:17 PM

The timing belt has already been replaced. Though why is insurance so damn high?

TheEngineer 04-09-2007 09:37 PM

how old are you , and how much are you paying. These are not very high insurance cars so it must be something with you

kryptekz 04-09-2007 09:39 PM

18 and I was paying 60 some on a grandam

I Drive Naked 04-09-2007 09:40 PM

I'm 21, unmarried, male, with a clean record.
So mines cheap.

And the Eclipse runs a little high b/c its a coupe.
Features like ABS, dual air bags, and a few other saftey features help determine the insurance.
The RS has DAB, but no ABS.

I Drive Naked 04-09-2007 09:41 PM

ORIGINAL: kryptekz

The timing belt has already been replaced. Though why is insurance so damn high?
Your first cars insurance will always be a little pricey b/c of your age.
Its gets better over time with no accidents, no tickets, and payments on time.
Every 6mnths it will drop a little.

matt02708 04-09-2007 10:22 PM

I paid $2,700 for my red1995 GS-T and 2 and half years ago I paid $3,000 for my 1995 dark green GS-T. Geez 5,000 just seems like a lot to me for a RS, but if its innice conditionandyour happy with it all the power to ya.

darknigh7th 04-09-2007 11:58 PM

yeah.... mine is 274 a month... 6 tickets 1 wreck... 20 male. yeap i'm doing great.

kryptekz 04-10-2007 12:56 AM

How safe is the car actually, as in crash test ratings? Also I was looking up reviews and I really saw a majority of bad reviews. I figured the engine in the rs isn't that strong, and its known for the headgasket to blow at 60k. Though the owner had it replaced already, new headgasket, waterpump, belt, all that good stuff. How long do you think it should last, I was hoping up to 160k if maintained well. I was really interested in a honda, but you see them everywhere here. Honda's quality is superb but I figured I'll get one later. I was suprised though on how they put the same exact engine as my moms dodge stratus, the only difference is the 2.0 liter to the 2.4. I haven't driven the car too much, but its supposed to be insured tommorow. I am not the type of driver to race or push on the engine too hard. I am not really going to put modifications on it either, just want it to keep it stock and simple. Is the transmission known to go out at some xxxxmiles? Its an auto so that should affect it.

I Drive Naked 04-10-2007 01:02 AM

How safe is the car actually, as in crash test ratings? Also I was looking up reviews and I really saw a majority of bad reviews. I figured the engine in the rs isn't that strong, and its known for the headgasket to blow at 60k. Though the owner had it replaced already, new headgasket, waterpump, belt, all that good stuff. How long do you think it should last, I was hoping up to 160k if maintained well. I was really interested in a honda, but you see them everywhere here. Honda's quality is superb but I figured I'll get one later. I was suprised though on how they put the same exact engine as my moms dodge stratus, the only difference is the 2.0 liter to the 2.4. I haven't driven the car too much, but its supposed to be insured tommorow. I am not the type of driver to race or push on the engine too hard. I am not really going to put modifications on it either, just want it to keep it stock and simple. Is the transmission known to go out at some xxxxmiles? Its an auto so that should affect it.
If you just do your normal day to day driving and don't hot rod the car, and keep up on your maintanence, the car will give you MANY miles.
As far as the crash test goes, yes they don't have the most impressive marks, but I have read some bad stories where the drivers came out ok.
Even in the safest of cars, you can still die in a crash.
As far as the tranny, the reason they stated mine exploded was an 'internal failure due to dirty fluid"... which was b/s cuz it was flushed when I bought it.
But its like I said, if you just take good care of the car (oil changed every 3k, belts ok, other fluids clean,etc), leave it stock ( or slightly personalized), and don't rag it b/c its an Eclipse and looks fast, the car will definitley be a good one for you.

Welcome to the forums and as you can tell, we're very helpful here unless you start off being a dick, like some current members who I won't say.
If you have a question though, I do suggest using the search feature, b/c its probally been discussed.
If you can't yet find your answer, then ask and one of is WILL know.
Hope you like the RS, I love mine.

kryptekz 04-10-2007 01:05 AM

I am very thankful for the help you have given me, even when iam new. Thanks for the help and I plan not be a asshole in the near future. lol

I Drive Naked 04-10-2007 01:11 AM

I am very thankful for the help you have given me, even when iam new. Thanks for the help and I plan not be a asshole in the near future. lol
Cool.
Just stay and talk s**t with us. Its fun.
You'll discover how awesome this forum is.
I'm addicted to it.
Everyone here kicks ass.

darknigh7th 04-10-2007 02:46 AM

this forum has saved me a lot of money in the long run. these guys know anything there is to know about these cars.

antlip 04-10-2007 09:47 AM

I live in NJ and my gsx for liability is 1400 a year. I have 3 insurance points that drop this month from an accident in the ice (slid off theroad no police tickets) and im 22. Before that it was like 1600 for full coverage when i was 19. This on my moms policy. Your insuracne is going to depend on what state you live in big time.

I also got a quote on my moms 03 malibu for full coverage last month with my 3 insurance points and full coverage is about 1500 a year. I dropped my insurance for 3 years from full coverage to liability on my gsx so there was no price difference in the insurance just so the cock sucking insurance company doesnt get any of the insurance money they gave me back. Thank god I didnt get into any accidents in that 3 year period.

Dusty Eclipse 04-10-2007 10:20 AM

My insurance is insane... anyone whos read the "What cars have u owned?" thread by Nubian will know why, lol...

TheEngineer 04-10-2007 10:26 AM

i pay about 2400 for two cars per year. 22 years old....not a very good driving record

RCJr9186 04-10-2007 10:40 AM

Eclipse + Del sol = 108/month. liability only of course. for full coverage on both is 154/month. full coverage on my once and future EVO IX was 190/month full coverage.

kryptekz 04-10-2007 08:47 PM

With a gs/rs, isn't the only difference is the power windows and locks? Wouldn't my car be considered at gs then? It has pwr everything and leather seats

I Drive Naked 04-10-2007 08:54 PM

With a gs/rs, isn't the only difference is the power windows and locks? Wouldn't my car be considered at gs then? It has pwr everything and leather seats
I suppose it does not say on the back hatch, over the tail lights, does it?
If not, just spend $20 and run a Carfax on it.
A plus from that is you'll know every little detail and occurence about the car.

kryptekz 04-10-2007 08:58 PM

I sorry I worded my question a bit weird. I know its a RS but with all its features, is there relatively any difference between a GS. This car is so similar to my moms dodge stratus as far as parts go. The engine, probably the parts are closely the same. Btw what are wheel locks, there on the original pricing paper and was $35 extra.

I Drive Naked 04-10-2007 10:33 PM

One lugnut on each wheel with a strange pattern that needs a wheel key to undo.
Its an anti wheel theft.
The key should be with the jack stowage under the rear hatch carpet w/ the spare tire, or in the glove box.

I Drive Naked 04-10-2007 10:37 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y83...8/100_7819.jpg

kryptekz 04-11-2007 12:20 AM

Is it easy to put power mirrors on the doors?

I Drive Naked 04-11-2007 12:50 AM

Depends.
Do you mean replace one?
Or add them into it (as in replace the existing hand adjustment)?

To add power anything to a vehicle that was not already equipped with it is a guaranteed PITA (pain in the ass).
You have to install the switch, fuses, wiring harness, and so on.
Its not worth it in the long run IMO. Just man up and deal with the hand adjustment.

If you want to replace one, its not hard at all.
Just remove the black cover and undo the 3 bolts (I can't recall if the door panel has to come off or not, i don't think so).

Piece of advice, please be just a little more clear in your questions.
Its been nothing but my pleasure answering your questions about your new car, but you're questions are getting increasingly poorly worded.
Just be a little more concise.

kryptekz 04-12-2007 10:14 PM

RE: Just bought my first car. Update, first problem?

Well just had a weird problem with the car. When I turned it on, the rpm went up to about 3000 then steadied at 1000. Few seconds later it went up to about a 2000 and the check engine light was blinking 3 times, then went out. Never went on again. I am currently trying to find out what it could be, also is it normal for the engine to go from 1000rpm to about 1200rpm when turning the wheel in park? I was turning in park and the engine was going about 200 higher. With the eclipse how tall is the average driver. I am about 5"11 and its ok but not great. The steeringwheel touches my knee sometimes but I usually can deal with it. I am not complaining, just curious. I was suprised on how low the steering wheel is but it feels like a normal car when I drive it.