2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Leak to the headliner

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Default Leak to the headliner

I had to put the '97 Eclipse outside and there was a wet spot on the headliner near the bottom edge by the back of the door on the passenger side, is there a weep hole that is plugged that I need to know about?

Old 01-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Default RE: Leak to the headliner

Come on all you brainiacs, someone must park there car outside and has a leak there.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:16 AM

I know I have to replace the seal on my sunroof for it. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 AM

Yeah, the sunroof (if you have one) or the black outer seal.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:33 AM

I have both. When I first got the car I opened a bunch of weep holes that were blocked, but I haven't seen one in the sun roof, and it is not leaking next to the sunroof, but lower near the edge of the headliner.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:07 AM

If your 97 is anything like my 97, the outer black seals are starting to (or yours may already have) shrink and harden. When mine was brand new, those outer seals were still rubbery, but now, they are starting to harden a bit. Not to mention, I've seen some of themthat are warping away from the car. Check those seals, not necessarily in that area, but the entire seal....why? because as you're driving, the wind will blow water back until it can't go any further. Also, that thick black seal that the window rests on could have a rip, check all over that area. There's really only a small handful of reasons your headliner would leak in that area....the door seal or window are the first things to pop up in my head....ok, the sunroof too, but that most likely may not have anything to do with the leak, lol. The sunroof also is supposed to seal up when closed so there aren't any weep holes for it under the glass.
Check to make sure your window hasn't sagged or dropped a tooth....you do that by opening the door and eyeball where it closes and check the driver's side and compare. Also check to make sure the door hasn't sagged...it's pretty heavy and does happen more often to coupes than to 4drs....how does one check for that? Open the door, then close it but stop right before the door catches the latch...check the body lines for evenness (<---yes, that is a word, I googled it, lol). You can also tell just by listening to it or if you've ever closed it from the inside, you will (maybe) notice it get bumped up a bit.
Ok, that's all I can think of for now.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 AM

I found the weep hole, it is in the drip rail at the area above the back of the side passenger window. When I seen it it has not leaked the last couple of days but there were some pine needles in the area covering about 1/2 of it. We have lots of Douglas fir trees, you should see my gutters, sometimes they get completely full.