2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Leaky valve cover - gasoline smell

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Default Leaky valve cover - gasoline smell

I may have a slow leak from my valve cover and will be replacing the gaskets. I am wondering tho, would a leaky valve cover smell like gasoline? The gasoline smell when I drive my car has gotten worse. I checked my o-rings and injectors. I checked below the rear seat. None of these moves have gotten me anywhere.

I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine and he said I probably have a leak somewhere, though I don't see fuel on the ground when I park.

He said maybe one of my vapor hoses may not connected.

As a test he recommended I remove my gasoline cover to see if there is pressure when I remove to add gasoline to the car. I heard no pressure when I removed the cover.

What does that mean? Is it a fuel vapor issue or something else?

I also noticed when I tightened my intake and cleaned out my turbo that there was an inlet on the intake that was capped off. What I mean is there was in inlet for a small hose on the intake and the previous owner simply plugged it with a rubber piece. This inlet is like on the lower side of the intake, like pointing diagonally down to the floor.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Default RE: Leaky valve cover - gasoline smell

my valve cover also leaks but not too bad.. the gas smell might be coming from your oil if it isnt too strong, it is normal to have a little gas in your oil, but if it smells like straight up gasoline then... hmm... is your gas milage ok?? you might have a slow leaking fuel line... did you check under the fuel rail to see if it is leaking there?? and do you smell gas when you are in your car or just under the hood?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:05 PM

I smell gas. I smell it in my car, but mostly when the window is open, and I can smell it when I pop the hood.

Some guys said it could be my charcoal cam, but when I went to replace it the dealer said they no longer sold that part. I'm gonna have a friend look at my car. I'll also be replacing my valve cover gaskets.

Thanks man.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:34 PM

np, like i said, check out the fuel rail and make sure there are no leaks anywhere, and the line connecting to the side of the rail..