2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

RTV Sealant for Leaky Top on spyder

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Default RTV Sealant for Leaky Top on spyder

BASICALLY i cant even drive my spyder when it rains because its raining inside, i should just put the top down so i can know where its going to come from....

ANYWAY the back window leaks it leaks in the corner of the windshield and i need something to seal it, i heard in another post RTV sealant anyone know where i could find that??? thanks

Old 03-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: RTV Sealant for Leaky Top on spyder

ORIGINAL: Laxstar785

BASICALLY i cant even drive my spyder when it rains because its raining inside, i should just put the top down so i can know where its going to come from....

ANYWAY the back window leaks it leaks in the corner of the windshield and i need something to seal it, i heard in another post RTV sealant anyone know where i could find that??? thanks
RTV Sealant... Well usually used for creating gaskets for valve covers and whatever else leaks. You can get it at any hardware or automotive store. I'd recommend finding the clear stuff fot the windshield application but I'd only use this as a temporary fix. It also will need o remain still and dry for the full 24 hour cure time. You should be safe to drive it at slower speeds around 2 hours after applying it but again it's only a temporary fix it will eventually fall off of get torn off by the wind. As for the back window... I wouldn't suggest RTV due to the fact that the back moves and folds it'll break the RTV up in notime flat and you'll be right back to leaking. Besides that in my opinion RTV'd windows look SOOOOO ghetto. LOL

Old 03-29-2005, 06:08 PM

Yea but i need to do something i really dont care what i have to drive this everday and its been raining for the past 3 days almost and i cant drive cuz it leaks everywhere. Im going to buy new gaskets hopefully that will help other then that if it doesnt stop im going to have to sell it

Old 03-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

All right first off if new seals don't fix it then there are bigger problems with the car than the leaking. But as I said I'd recommend the clear RTV and use is sparingly. You'll have to keep it in a garage or some type of cover so it doesn't get wet for at least 2-3 hours the longer you cure it before exposing it the better. For the back window I'd recommend looking at regular clear packing tape instead of RTV it's a little more flexible and it sounds like you plan on replacing that area soon anyways. Like I said RTV can be purchased at any auto store. It's usually used to make gasket joints and form a bit better of a seal for gaskets.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:30 PM

The best way to seal the rear Window is to use 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. This is what the pros use. Don't buy the generic version, make sure it is the actual 3M product. The stuff is easy to work with, although you might want to cover any cloth, such as the top of the back seat. It has the consistency of tar, and will stick to everything. But it stays pliable for quite a while, making it fairly easy to apply. BUT, once it is dry, it is definitely not going anywhere. It will be watertight, and much better than RTV. I assume you are talking about the rear port-style window on your Spyder? I used this on a '96 rear window, which was glass and not plastic. Do NOT use this product for any portion of the car that will need to come apart, slide, or move. This will stop your leak without the need for a new top. No problem. I am pretty sure you can get it at NAPA Auto parts stores. I got mine from a mechanic I know. Good luck!