2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Looking at 2g DSM Have Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 02:10 AM
Default Looking at 2g DSM Have Some Questions

Hey,

Im looking for a new car and one of the cars on this list is a 2g DSM GSX. The car will be my daily driver so I need it to be reliabe. I plan to do some basic mods to it nothing to series. Are these cars dependable if they are well looked after and maintained? Also Ive heared a lot of stuff about Crank Walk on these cars (Ive also heard its less likely to happend on 97+ models is there any truth to that?) is there any way to tell if its happened from a test drive or by an inspection from a mechanic? If I experiance crank walk is it expensive to fix if caught in time before it causes any series damage?

I live in Calgary and have to deal with winter driving thats one of the reasons Im getting the GSX instead of the GST. How are the GSX's in the snow?

Anything else you can tell me about what to look out for or the pros/cons of the car would be great.

Thanks,

Brendan

Old 01-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Default RE: Looking at 2g DSM Have Some Questions

These are def good cars if well maintained and keep that quality even with decent to moderate mods. Mine is my daily driver and I don't regret getting it.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:44 AM

They are awesome cars. It would be perfect for you to get around in the snow with. You would onyl experience crankwalk if you have done some major mods to it ex. new turbo with lots of boost. The cars are reliable and realitively easy to work on. Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:27 PM

Crank walk really won't happen if you take care of your car like oil changes every 3000 miles or less, and if they don't downshift really hard. But overall if you take care of the car it will perform verywell and you'll enjoy it very much.

Old 01-08-2005, 11:52 PM

ORIGINAL: nate5023

Crank walk really won't happen if you take care of your car like oil changes every 3000 miles or less, and if they don't downshift really hard. But overall if you take care of the car it will perform verywell and you'll enjoy it very much.

Negative.

There is no way to know if you will get CW. It happens because of factory specs. If you are going to get it then it will happen. The only way that has been shown to PROGRESS the actual CW issue is a high clutch pedal pressure unit. Oil changes and and downshifting will help prevent the car from premature wear on the engine itself but not prevent crankwalk.

At best CW is overrated. Do not worry about it. If it happens it is a easy engine change. Nothing about it is complicated.