2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

looking for a nice 2nd gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Default RE: looking for a nice 2nd gen

ORIGINAL: TSG59_Steve

And yes, anytime one of those stupid *** Honda owners (after handing them their ***) say "well at least mine is reliable". I'm like... well I have one too, and that things a piece.
That gets framed too, lol.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:36 PM

Personally I think anything is a piece of **** if you dont take care of it man. Even new cars
it's funny how nowadays I see more new cars broken down on side of the road then older
cars. I bought my Eclipse with 120K for $4800, no major problems so far but I won't be surprised when they come along. Like they said if you want speed get either a GSX or GS-T
just hope whoever had it didn't beat the **** out of it too badly to where you have to spend a big
grip just to get it to run right.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:16 PM

well said. any car can be a straight POS after 2 years and that same car well maintained can last 20 years... just when the gs-ts and gsxs came out there weren't all to many turbo'd cars so ppl that bought them bought them to have fun and tha they did, they did w/o taking care of their cars properly. i do talk about their non-reliability but i tis mostly the turbo'd cars. i had a 99 gs for over 2 years and the only problem i had w/ it at all was a blown head gasket which is a factory defect.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:59 PM

I picked up my 95 GS 5spd (non turbo) for $500 a year ago, and I've put maybe another 2k into it rehabbing her. The main problem's she's had stem directly from abuse by her previous two owners who were little ***** and tried to make her a thumper and ignored her engine and all parts not connected to the sound system. Right now she spends about 2 weeks of every 5 months or so in the shop, and that's just me gently driving her. Right now, she's tearing up throw-out bearings like they're candy. If you're looking for a reliable car, this isn't it. I've got a 94 Nissan Altima that has spent a total of 3 days in shop since I bought her in 97. Not much style, but sometimes it's nice knowing you're not going to get to your destination in a tow truck.My only real consolation is that I've seen a LOT of Eclipses on the back of the same tow trucks that generally come to my rescue.

My advice, get on a first name basis with your local GOOD shops. Some of the stuff is just a heck of a lot easier and faster to have someone else do, unless you have a full shop in your back yard - I don't. I do, however, have a great relationship with three of my local shops, and I typically get her back in a matter of hours with all repairs handled at a good price. Can't beat that. Also, invest in AAA. And have towing on your insurance. Once you eat through all the free tows that AAA gives you, your insurance company can pick up the tab.

Old 07-10-2007, 05:45 PM

Both of my DSM's are for sale... Both 98's one is a spyder and the other a hardtop. Both turbos.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:38 PM

All I ever hear about is how unreliable these cars are but to be honest the only problems I've ever had with my 95 RS that I bought 2 years ago is the water pump went out. $300 in repairs over two years aint half bad. My brother has a 95 Honda Civic and it's constantly in and out of the shop but then again he's an idiot. I'm really satisfied with my car and I wouldn't trade her for the world...although I am building a 95 TSI awd from the ground up too.Just make sure no matter which car you get always do the scheduled maintenance and pay attention to your car. You treat her right and she'll treat you right...most of the time.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:40 AM

There are some great deals out there, you just have to be patient and make sure you are on top of it, I got my GSX just a couple moths ago, it is a 1998 GSX 5spd, White with grey leather interior. Nice Rims I bought it with 59k original miles on it for $9k It is in perfect shape, I got it from an old high school theacher who is a lady. She retired this year and decided that it was to hard for her to get in and out of her car. She was the only owner and it was garaged the whole time! All kinds of original paper work and tune up recipets. Trust me there are great deals out there!

Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 AM

yeah my gsx was 5k.. had 5000 worth of warranty work done on it. it's actually it's third engine i found out.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:32 AM

well as previously stated the only problem i had on my 99 for over 2 years was my factory defected head gasket blow... it served me just fine.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 AM

Foolishly, I think I payed about 8K for my Talon... then again that was like 5 years ago, and it came with a bunch of mods and a 6bolt...

Quick Reply: looking for a nice 2nd gen