2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Lossing water in radiator help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Lossing water in radiator help

Yeah out here in VA we can get away with running a 25% antifreeze or less solution as it MIGHT get cold enough to freeze water only a few times if at all in the winter. If there is NO antifreeze and only water and it freezes you could crack the block worst case or break other things.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:08 PM

Well I live on Nor Cal so it doesn't get too cold. But thanks again.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:27 PM

...doesn't really matter where you live. Water by itself on a daily driver is not a good idea. Sure it has good heat dissipating properties, but after it dissipates the heat, it will most likely evaporate. When it evaporates, the cooling system will lose what it needs to cool.

The point of what everyone is trying to tell you is for you to put coolant in with your water. Coolant is not a bad thing to have. Coolant helps keep the water from freezing, helps you find leaks (that's one of the purposes of the dye), helps keep the water from evaporating, helps keep the passages lubricated.
If you don't want to put anti-freeze into your cooling system, it's on you bro. We're just trying to help.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Also check your freeze plugs. You should have 4 total and if one has started rusting out it MAY have formed a hole allowing the water to leak out all over the place.

On a side note to Silver's comment aboutt he evaporation, once the water evaps it becomes steam and can pressurize the system and pop the cap's relief allowing it to head to the overflow and right on out the tube whilst you drive. Thus you'd never see ANYTHING leave the car and there would be no puddle either.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:05 AM

I added the coolant I don't want to risk it like you guys said. Thank alot I really apreciated looking out for keeping my car running..

Old 11-16-2006, 08:12 AM

Make sure you've burped it. While the motor is cold, remove the rad cap until the coolant level rises, then close it back up and fill the resevoir so that any air pocket left over can escape and the resevoir can do it's job. Don't worry about the coolant that comes out of the resevoir, just make sure that it stays around the full mark (until all air pockets are out). After about a day or after a good long drive, go to Walmart or somewhere that will let the car sit and cool off for a bit, and drive it back home and look at your coolant level in the resevoir. The goal is to get the motor hot enough or to be an normal running temps to force out any air pockets. If you've overfilled the resevoir all the way up, you will lose all of that but the level will go to the "full" mark on it's own so don't worry about that. You should not lose any for a good while, but never forget to look at the resevoir every so often.
After you are sure that the system is burped, look for leaks as marked by the dye in the coolant.
Another thing to look at is your oil. Make sure either aren't mixing up. With coolant, it's easier to see if you've got a leak inside the motor. See, another purpose for the coolant

Old 11-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Silver's covered it fairly well though I personally leave the radiator cap off and let the car warm up to operating temp. Then I pull the throttle plate to gun the engine a few times until the system brings the coolant level up and it spills over. After that I let the engine idle and refill the radiator car running. Once full I cap the radiator and ensure the resevior is filled. Then I check the resevior in a day or 2 and it's good to go.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:36 PM

As soon as I get my car back from my sister I will do that. Thanks again..

Old 11-26-2006, 04:13 PM

I did all the things that you guys told me to do. I don't see any leaks . The car still losses water and overheats causing the water to boil. What should I do? Could it be the HG?

Old 11-26-2006, 04:49 PM

well is the car smoking? because it could be a stuck shut thermostat.

Quick Reply: Lossing water in radiator help