2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

MAIN ROD BEARING

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Default RE: MAIN ROD BEARING

lol.. true that yo

Old 03-04-2007, 07:34 PM

if its coming from the lower part of the engine its your main bearing mines doing the same thing and im just gana have the main and rod bearings replaced and the timing belt i suggest you do the same itll cost between 500 and 600 bucks depending on the shop if you go to a mitsubishi dealership itll cost alot more
and yes park it untill your gana fix it he probably said main and rod bearings
the parts arent that expensive about 120 for all the bearings and a new timing belt, labors the big issue its probably gana take them around 5 to 6 hours to do it, thats just what my mechanic said

Old 03-04-2007, 07:38 PM

thanks for the info. cause i was gonna get a hole new motor but if it is fixable i think thats what imma do. it's alot cheaper. But still have to get it towed to a mechanic shop.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:33 PM

you cant just replace bearings and call it a day. if the bearing is damaged, the rest of the parts are too.
you cant just say it a main bearing cuz its knocking. the rod bearings are always the first to go, once they go its done. crank needs turned, rods need replaced because you cant resize the 420a rods. You might even have a piston smackin around in the cylinder or a wrist pin making noise.,it could be end play on the crank, a broken transmission, loose flywheel, anything.
Do you know the difference in a main bearing and a rod bearing?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:40 PM

not to mention, just throwing on new bearings, you are asking for more trouble, the new bearings will not be getting proper flow, cause the crank jounal will be pitted. which will mean the new bearings will not seat properly.
good luck with that tho

Old 03-04-2007, 10:42 PM

well for starters don't know the difference between a main bearing and a rod bearing. The guy i bought it from is a drag racer. he does his own work, swaps, etc..and when i saw his truck man it's unbeliveable. it's goergous. he said it's his third engine change. he got 100 shot of NOS in it. only the body is stock evrything else is hi-performance. well anywaywhat i'm getting too is, he said that there's something wrong with the main bearing, and i ask him if it is fixablehe said yesand he said it's underneath the oil pan andall i have to do is drop the pan replace the main bearing.But this is not his car he was just selling it for a friend of his. But you guys know more about eclipse engine here on this forum. so what is your suggestion. and i really don't have that much money to spend.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:08 PM

im guessing you bought the car from vadriven? not quite the best way to go...but enyhow i would rather buy a whole new engine than fixing.....yes it's fixable but not as easy than said...and even though you fix it its gonna hurt u in the long run..not to mention little specs of metal is everywhere....and jus doing all that there might be a chance of it happening again....(need to find out what caused the spun bearing)

Old 03-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Yea how did ya guess, i thought only for a 1000. U saw that car too huh, yea i bought it on friday. i was excited too. but now i wish i never bought it. i gotta spend more on a new motor than the car itself. it really sucks. i wish i knew people who could do engine swaps. i asked around here at local shops and they want to charge at least 2500 for swaps and labor. and the junkyard don't have any used one. i'll give this car back only if i could but no warranty on it.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:27 PM

where ya from ill give ya $1000 for it
i have a pretty potent 420a here than would make it run gooood

Old 03-04-2007, 11:32 PM

i'm from norfolk, virginia

Quick Reply: MAIN ROD BEARING