2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

MAIN ROD BEARING

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Default RE: MAIN ROD BEARING

yea i seen it there and the funny thing is...i was going to buy it!! i pretty knew what i was going to expect if i would of took it....but look on the bright side...its a decent rolling chassis....i planned on doing a swap on it....im sureyou'll find sumitn i know there some eclipse engines up here in the penninsulajus dont go to English Motors i bought a small high pressure hose for 75! stupid me...

Old 03-04-2007, 11:48 PM

well i was doing some research and neon, eagle talon has the same engine on it and i found one for a 95 eagle talon for 450 with 81k on it. but if you wanna buy this car i'm all for it. but i don't think it's driveable. i got it towed here where i lived at the guy i bought from said i would have made it over here but did not want to take the chance the motor might had blown or something else would have gone wrong.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:55 PM

the bottom end of a dohc neon and adohc non turbotalon / eclipse are the same. the head has reversed airflow direction

Old 03-04-2007, 11:57 PM

so i guess the engine will fit.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM

Think of it this way, what are you plans for this vehichle? If it's only for a daily driver and you don't want to goof around fixing it yourselt, then do what others suggest and drop a "junkyard" motor in it. You should be able to do it in a day; if you know what you're doing. However, if you plan on keeping this vehicle for awhile, then I would suggest doing a motor swap as a second option. Having a rod/main bearing spun on you isn't the end of the world like others have suggested on here. It all depends on how soon did you catch the knock and whether you kept driving it after you discovered it. Believe it or not, sometimes, you can come out of it with just your crank needing to be repolished (this was the case of a 99 OZ GS that I purchased last year for $500.00). However, the worst case scenario is what others have already told you, crank/rod replacement or total engine replacement, but you won't know it until that motor is out and cracked open. There's enough resources in these forum to help with this task so use it and don't be afraid to get your hands dirty. Get yourself a good set of metric sockets, a chilton/equivalent and search online for the free service manual. I believe you can rent a cherry picker and stand.

Good luck with your project.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:15 AM

i would get my hands dirty but only thing is the book says the first thing i have to do is discharge the ac system and have a professional do it. do a professionalreally have to do that or can i just do it myself i have all the tools except to discharge th a/c sytem. anybody know how to do that.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:17 AM

agreed....but if you go another route hit me up on some pics of the car i ll prob buy it depeding on the condition of the crank....

Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM

You can remove the AC and power steering components without disconnecting them. Loosen up the belt tensioner first to remove the belt. Once that is done, go under your car and you'll notice that the AC is bolted down by 4 bolts to the bracket. Remove those 4 bolts and zip tie the AC so that it's not hanging by itself. Then go on to the power steering and do the same.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:22 AM

so i don't have to discharge the a/c unit?

Old 03-05-2007, 12:26 AM

That's right, you don't have to. Plus it's not a good idea to have a dry A/C system. You'll be asking for a lot of potential problems and unless you know exactly how to recharge it (pulling negative vacuum with a pump) the cost can run as high as $300.00 for a proper recharge.

Quick Reply: MAIN ROD BEARING