2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Make it Fast and something that don't belong?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Default Make it Fast and something that don't belong?

I have a5-speed 1996 mitsubishi eclipse RS and well like every other dumb kid i want a turbo and everything else on it. And well im just curious as to where the best place to start on my car would be? I've already bought an Injen short ram intakeand im in the process of getting Megan Racing header(s) and a Vibrant Performanceexhaust systembut whats the next step i should take? In reality im just wanting to beat a couple of my anti-mitsubishi friends in a race (2000 Honda Civic SI, and a SRT-4 Dodge Neon hence the need of a turbo?)
Also kind of curious im having to replace the INT sensor on my car but I guess my car was assembled different as my mechanic ordered the part but it wasent the right one on closer inspection it requires a chrysler/dodge INT sensor? is that common or doI have a chrysler/dodge intake manifold? is that common as well or didI buy somebody else's problems? I've ran a scan tool and ive had one ran by someone who was ASE certified the only problem with my car at the moment is the INT sensor so is the dodge/chrysler thing normal or just somebodys problem thatI bought?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 PM
Default RE: Make it Fast and something that don't belong?

dont waste your money on the headers if u plan on getting a turbo kit. but if you wated a turbo eclipse shoulda found a gst or better yet gsx. but yes i was the same dumb kid at one point. but with the headers and the exhaust the car sure will sound nice.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:02 AM

no it wont, with headers and exhaust it will actually sound pretty crappy.... i used to have an rs with an exhaust and it sucked... and dude if you're planning on doing anything with turbos then i would do research and find out how they work, cuz it sounds like you dont have a whole lot of knowledge on that as of yet

Old 12-12-2008, 01:49 PM

Sorry bro, but a turbo'd 420a isn't going to beat an SRT-4 or S2k, perhaps the Civic. I hate to disappoint you, but adding a turbo to that high compression motor will only get you one to two seconds faster than before. You will have more power at take off, but it will run out of breathe until you rebuild the motor and lower the compression, not to mention the other things that go into building a motor.

That motor that you have is a 420a made by Chrysler. That explains why you had to buy a Chrysler part This type of practice is not unusual btw.
So, um, what is an INT sensor? An intake sensor like the IAT (intake air temp), MDP (manifold differential pressure), MAF (mass air flow), etc.?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:33 PM

I believe its a intake sensor? not quite sure on that tho lol just what the test code was and what the computer confirmed the code was, and now im not so sure on the header part will it sound good or horrible with the Vibrant Perfomance exhaust? (its a cat back exhaust w/e that means im not very informed in the car/tuner world yet but hope to be soon) and the turbo part with the engine rebuild planning on doing that around the same time i tried to find a gst eclipse but the only one i found was more work that it was worth (7 grand for a car with a cracked block? no thanks) and the only gsx i could find for sale anyways washalf way across the country lol(this wont be an everyday driver i plan on buying a crummy civic to cruise around in) More input would be nice like type or turbo or a turbo kit? perhaps a conversion kit for my RS to make it a gst/rst? im not sure but any input and help would be much appreciated and anything else id need so that i could eventually beat that SRT-4 lol

Old 12-12-2008, 06:01 PM

yeah u dont seem to knowledged on cars quite yet. i had a 98 gs that was so slow and i wanted to turbo it and eveyrhting but then i just sold my gs and bought a gst for 2400 more and it was the smartest move. i went from barely beating a stock honda to staying with mustang gts if not passing them and sticking with srt 4s all day. not many mods either. its a completely differnet setup and u cannot swap the motor/trans. its on the complete opposite side. and yes header will make it sound horrible. and its not worth buying if u r going to turbo it anyways.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 PM

Remember that motor orientation has no significance when doing a swap, especially in the 2Gs since there are two versions of the car, it's only a matter of putting in the other motor. With a 420a car, you're not going to put a 4g63 on the 420's mounts nor are you copying the way the 420a rotates, you're going to pull those mounts out and fashion mounts for the 4g63 so that it's rotation is "normal"...do you see why the orientation of an old motor doesn't matter?

As for turbo kits, look up Star and Hahn turbo kits. But, get to know the motor before you do anything. It will help you later on down the road if something breaks or when you want to upgrade.