2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

makin my 420A turbo worthy

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:01 AM
Default makin my 420A turbo worthy

Hey everybody lookin for a parts list to upgrade my car and make it ready for a turbo, i know that i can just slap one on there but i'd rather have a decent engine first, can anybody help me? PLEASE STAY ON THE SUBJECT

Old 08-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Administrator
Default RE: makin my 420A turbo worthy

first thing, you will want to rebuild the engine...even though you may not need every part, you dont want to put alot of money into the engine only to have it fail because of a 40 cent bolt. i have found that the crankshaft in the 420a is sturdy, so that isnt needed, so long as it is in good shape. you will need new connecting rods, and turbo pistons..check with crower or eagle on the rods, and JE on ths pistons.

Old 08-26-2005, 02:15 PM

i actually talked to HAHN and they gave me a list of things: compression check, leak down for the valves, pistons, rings, connecting rods, head struts, valve job, boar the block, port fueler, injectors, and stage 2 kit w/ boost controller. that's the timeline they gave me so that's what im doin, im just curious if there is anything else i need to do...

Old 08-26-2005, 05:29 PM

You will need all that and some luck. I assume you are only going to bore the block to make for a tight seal around rings and pistons. Your not actually trying to bore out that engine for more displacement, or are you? Make sure you get the right size pistons after a bore. And once you do a compression test and leak down for valves, there is a good chance you will need to replace some more parts because often they find leaks around valves and, as you know, you've got sixteen of them. They will probably give you a percentage of how much they are leaking. Like 70% leak on the second intake valve in cylinder 2. Something like that. And with that, you may need to buy some more valves. Depends on who does your work. You still don't just want to buy a GST? Good luck, god speed.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Administrator

honestly, what everyone is getting at, if youre going to build this 420a turbo, build ground up...replace pretty much everything shy of the block, and crank. it sounds harsh, but the 420a that i have seen, heavily built, did just that

Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: RCJr9186

i actually talked to HAHN and they gave me a list of things: compression check, leak down for the valves, pistons, rings, connecting rods, head struts, valve job, boar the block, port fueler, injectors, and stage 2 kit w/ boost controller. that's the timeline they gave me so that's what im doin, im just curious if there is anything else i need to do...
Portfuler? Valve job? ...... lets slow down a bit

Facts known
-injectors max out at 10 psi
-rings fail after 13 psi
-rods bend/snap at 15psi
-stock pistons melt at 15psi
-ignition system obsoleat at 15psi

From what you have listed It sounds like you want to go big. So you will deff need a new bottom end, www.exileracing.com, compleat short block for 1800. That includes oil pump remanafactured and balanced crank shaft, milling oil pump, bearings, forged rods, forged pistons, total seal rings, block honed and blueprinted.

Next youll need a head job, the head on the 420a flows pretty well but if your going with high performance you will want a good port job. www.Conceptillusions.com offers a good service for 400 its a total port, its so nasty that you NEED a bigger throttle body, intake manifold(aftermarket or ported) and the exaust manifold ported. Also you will need new valve seals, seeing how there will be alot of stress on the old ones. I also reccomend new springs, valves, rockers, and retariners. All of that can cost up to 1400, or atleast thats what I priced out for me self for a compleat built head.

For the turbo the the hahn 2nd stage comes with a nice turbo that can easily support 300 hp. If you want higher than that you will want to get something like a s20g. The fmu that comes with the kit sucks and should be replaced with a vortech sfmu(rock soild fuel pressure every time). The Injectors that come with the kit max out at 15psi also, matterfactly the whole fuel system maxes out at 15psi. That needs to be replaced with eiter a 8 injector setup (portfuler or custom) or a standalong unit which is more expensive. Turbo kit 3,000 + portfuler 1500 comes to 4500.

The igntion is no big deal get an kit from www.howellautomotive.com 700 shells, colder plugs 12 shells, wires, 80 shells. Thats got you for 791.

Lastly cluch/tranny. I cant even give you a guess on how much a stave v cluch is going to run you. If you do need a new tranny I recomend the neon r/t 420a tranny, that can go for 1200.

Altogather be expected to spend anywhere from 9600 and up, my prices are rough and do not include the cost of labor, shipping, tax, or other little odds and ends. After that you can really mess people up... on the track that is. Like I said before it depends what you want. If you do everything that I listed you car is going to be pretty serious, low 12's. Me on the other hand I wnat a built bottomend and a built head to run 15psi, no more. I'll be low 13's and thats fine for me but if you want faster that ^^^^ is what your going to have to do.

Old 08-27-2005, 01:35 AM

sorry to butt in RC but... ^^^^ see??? he gave you your list!

Old 08-27-2005, 02:35 AM

yes, i can see that. thank you captain obvious and im glad he took the time to tell me these things instead of point me somewhere i don't wanna be led.

Old 08-27-2005, 12:19 PM

haha lil touchy rc??

Old 08-27-2005, 06:48 PM

no, not touchy but you keep tellin me the same thing over and over when i've told everybody that im NOT going to trade my car... it doesn't matter if it's the 420a or the turbo engine, i would STILL rebuild the engine and it would still cost me the same amount, so there's no need to spend and extra 2000 for a car when im gonna get the same results... i wish everybody could just understand that.

Quick Reply: makin my 420A turbo worthy