2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Motor Being Rebuilt.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Default Motor Being Rebuilt.

Well its been a long time, well I found out how bad my motor really was this week. Its in the shop being rebuilt. I was burning oil wich I thought was from valve guides & seats, it turned out not to be, the head is actually in perfect condition. The #3 cylinder had lost 90% of its compresion. The ring was in a bunch of pieces and was mostlt gone wich cuased the piston to wobble in the cylinder and also broke a rod. so its getting everything new except head. Its suposed to be done tomorrow but I dont think it will, he is waiting for a part it should be done tuesday I hope, I am going nuts without it, Just got brand new rims a month ago and have not drove it once since then. Any tips on good headers for a 4g63 none turbo, it has a custom exsuast already. Will I even feel the diference in horse power? I wonder how much I lost with the #3 cylinder with almost no compresion? Well thanks in advance everyone, I will post pix as soon I get it back, After this I will move on to the trans and then a paint job. Thanks again everyone for all the help, I would be lost without this site.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Banned
Default RE: Motor Being Rebuilt.

if i was you i would build a turbo motor. Why not? It will bolt right up!

Old 10-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Super Moderator

your lucky that didnt do any damage to the block and the cylinder walls and that you can just rebuild it. You will definetly feel the difference in power. Hope it all works out for ya.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Banned

Dude... why not build a turbo motor?

Old 10-02-2006, 06:17 PM

well sebba it all depends on how much you want to spend on the car and hope you have it a long time so that you get the money out of it because if he sells it he wont get as much for it as what hes got in it.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Yea, as soon as it started knocking I stoped driving it all together. I think thats what saved me. I think I know what caused it too, I think when I drove it for a couple weeks with the cracked valve cover, yea I know stupid...lol, I would get really low oil pressure when I would sit at idle. So it probably happend then. Well its finally done, took 3 weeks but I am gonna pick it up tomorrow. Came to $2100 but he replaced the water pump also. Is that pretty good for a stock rebuild? I am gonna look around for a 4g63t motor and try and rebuild it myself. Probably take 10 years to do since it will be my first time. But it cant be that hard, I got all you guys and two manuals plus I went to ATC a automotive school a couple years but had to drop out when the wife got pregnant with our second one. So I got alot of text books from there and I got the course in where we learned how to fix the motor. So you will probably be seeing alot of posts from me when I start it. Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:51 PM

Thats kinda what happend now. The only reason I got the stock motor rebuilt is because I just sank almost 2000 into it with the custom exaust and system and the brand new rims I just bought, didnt even get to drive the car yet with them on, looks nice thou, I will post pix tomorrow, they washed it for me where I got the motor rebuilt so I want to get some pix before it gets dirty again. I wish I could have gotten some mods done to it but I just cant afford that right now, 2400 was the most. Thats why I only did a stock rebuild, plus its my DD so I dont want to go to nuts with it. One quick question, what kinda gas should I run with it being rebuilt?

Old 10-08-2006, 01:17 PM

if you decide to build a 4g63t.......
check this out
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kVXj4ULvPJQ

Old 10-10-2006, 12:17 PM

Thanks Bro I will check it out. Well I had my car back for a little. This morning it started stalling when I came to a stop, then it started making a weird clicking sound that got louder and louder until I killed the motor. It sounded like when kids put playing cards in there spokes. Sounds like it is coming from the timing belt so I pulled over and called the shop that rebuilt it when I poped the hood I noticed it was leaking oil and when I checked it it did loose a little. They came and towed it to there shop. And when we got back there I noticed when the guy cranked it over it was still smoking out the exaust its still burning oil. Im a little worried now, they didnt replace the valve guides or seats cause he said they where in excelent shape.....and I took his word for it because even if he showed me I wouldnt know what the hell I was looking at, I hope this place aint fing with me. I did resaearch on the place and he has been around for 25 years and I live in an area where there are mostly rich people, but I am by no means rich we rent here and I pay 1400 for a 3 bedroom 1400 sq ft home. Its and old farm house but it is great shape, but anyway I figured the guy was good, he did everything in house. Is it normal for shyt to go wrong when you rebuild a motor? Im just really worried, I bought the car for 2500 and I have already put double that into it [sm=headbang.gif]and I have only had it for 10 months maybe a year. So Im kinda locked into owning it unless I want to take it in the azz and sell it, wich aint happening I love this freaking car. I have lots of plans for it. Oh well, I feel a little better now that I vented.....and advice would be great. Thanks again everyone for all the help, I know I can be a pain with all the questions and I suck at searching for old posts.

Old 10-10-2006, 01:18 PM

Just checked out that link, nice video, there are some other sick videos on that site. Saw a couple Talon ones too. I wish my car was as nice as some of them...some day hopefully, it will take my lifetime thou since Im so poor...[]

Quick Reply: Motor Being Rebuilt.