2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

Is it my alternator?? 97 eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013 | 12:35 AM
|
Default Is it my alternator?? 97 eclipse

I just got my 97 Eclipse at the beginning of the month. I have no owners manual. It has run fine up until today, this morning when I turned the car on the battery sign came on the dash. I thought it was just because of the cold weather we have been having the past few days. I drove it about 25 miles got back to my house and on my street all the power started to shut off and the car stalled. When I tried to turn it over it acted as the battery was dead. I jumped it a few times and it ran fine as long as it was hooked up. Right after you pulled it off the car would die unless I was revving the engine. But other times it would still die. I got the battery tested and it had dead cells so I got a new one. I put it in and the car is running fine but the battery light is still on my dash. Could it be my alternator or do I just need to rest the codes. Or possibly a bad connection some where? If so where could the wires be.

Old 03-17-2013 | 11:17 PM

Unless your car is still dying while you are driving your alternator is fine, your battery could have been too dead to be recharged and the car couldn't make enough energy fast enough with the alternator to power it. Although if you continue to have your battery die then i would check your alternator / connections in the circuit.

Resetting the code by disengaging the negative battery cord from the terminal and re connecting it will cause the computer to reset after roughly 100 miles, if the light stays on then you still have a problem and may want to use a OBD 2 scan tool to figure what code is causing it.

Old 05-11-2013 | 12:02 AM

Having a simalar problem changed alt twice and new battery. The car starts and runs. While idldeing it sruns for about 2 min before throwing the battery light. Wires are fine evrything is connected correctly. could it possibly be a progaming issue. I know there are multipule for thw car. And how do i figure out which is the right one.