Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1998 Montero Sport - Alternator problem/ changed the alternator 3 times and it keeps breaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 06:20 PM
Default 1998 Montero Sport - Alternator problem/ changed the alternator 3 times and it keeps breaking

ok so ive changed the alternator like 3 times.. the first time when me and my dad pulled it out it was all covered in oil...
we bought a brand new one.. about 1 month later its broken again..
returned it and got a new one again.. its been about 2-3 weeks since we put it in and its broken again...

check engine light is on, e-brake light is on.. and A/T light is on also

has this happened to anyone else before...
i dont wanna waste more money on a new alternator if it is going to brake in a month
please help.. any ideas are welcome

thanks!

Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM
pc
Default RE: 1998 Montero Sport - Alternator problem/ changed the alternator 3 times and it keeps breaking

Who determined the 1st and 2nd ones were faulty? Did you buy a factory new or a rebuilt from a discount auto parts store? Many times those rebuilds, especially the cheaper options, are not worth the trouble unless you plan to sell soon. I think you may need an auto electric shop to properly check the charge system. Have you had your battery load tested? Is the dash charge light on or off?

Old 05-19-2005, 05:18 AM
Default RE: 1998 Montero Sport - Alternator problem/ changed the alternator 3 times and it keeps breaking

Working through the same problem with my '97. I've replaced the alternator 4? times since last summer! Ridiculous. The last replacement was brand new, not a rebuild, and the wife tells me it just failed. (Failure determined by our service shop and the charging meter showing no joy!). Not sure what to do with the thing! Love my truck, but this is crazy.

Old 05-19-2005, 02:02 PM
pc

I've only had one problem with a rebuilt starter. Originally bought the cheap rebuild, failed after 2 years so Advance Auto replaced it free with the quality rebuild. No problems yet. I've heard bad stories on starters but not alt's. My only replacement alt., on an 83 Mazda B2000, was a Bosch which lasted until the truck went to the wrecker in 03. I'm not sure if mods are being done to these trucks such as smaller pulleys and extra load with additional lights that will put greater load on the alt.? The problem with OEM is that the mfgr's will only give a 1 year warranty but want twice the price, while Advance and the others will give lifetime. Few people however keep receipts or their vehicles all that long. I remember I bought a NAPA brake master with a lifetime and after 5 years it failed. First thing I was asked was do you have your receipt, I did, so it was free. I think with all the problems with these alts. an auto electric shop should be consulted and check out the system.