2nd Generation This includes all Eclipses, and Talons built from 1995-1999

NEED ADVISE PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Default NEED ADVISE PLEASE HELP

I just bought a 1996 eclipse 2.0 non turbo model. It was parked for couple of months so I had to boost the car to get it started. I live in California and when i went to get the car smoged they said that i need to run it for like 100 or so miles for the computer to start registering information. I drove the car for like 130 miles and then i took it back to smog check they said its still not ready and that its probably a faulty computer and it needs to be reseted or replaced. The car runs fine. the check engine light is not on. when i took the car to get it smoged I didnt turn the car off.

If anyone has any input for this situation please help ..thanks

Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Banned
Default RE: NEED ADVISE PLEASE HELP

Yea i would say that shop SUCKS.... go some place else and if you get the same thing.. then get a detailed description of the problem.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:45 AM

^^^x2 thats some bs. I would try a different place and see what they say. If you faild for emmisions they should give you a report that you can take to a shop to get reapired. I cant see how you just fail and dont have a cel.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

man iv missed you round here... a couple of people have really been pissing me off lately...

Like the dude that seems to think he can do "minor tuning" with a narrowbang... ARGH!!! [:@]

Old 09-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

a faulty computer isnt gonna make you fail emmission and especially without a CEL its fine.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:55 PM

Thanks everyone for their input....I went to a different smog shop and they said that the cars OBDII computer is not ready..when they connect the smog computer to the OBDII of the car it says certain things r not ready. Same thing he told me to keep on driving until its ready. If anyone has any other ideas or went to the similar situation please help.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

ive never heard of an ECU not being "ready" that kinda wierd. Maybe someone else can give some input on this. Have you reset the ECU with the battery. Or maybe it is just a faulty ecu

Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 PM

or maybe the car is running in open loop for a extended amount of time? Until the computer starts to run in closed loop, this makes perfect sense, but the question is, WHY is it not switching to closed?

Old 09-13-2006, 12:12 AM

The functional part of the California Smog Check involves the emissions tester checking to see if the ECU OBDII readiness monitors in the vehicle ECU are completed. If the monitors are not completed- you will fail the functional portion of the Smog Check. Failing ANY portion of the check (visual, functional, or actual emissions test) will result in a failed overall test. A "readiness monitor" is the ECU's self check of a particular emission system on the vehicle. You're particular model should involve readiness monitors for the O2 sensors, catalytic converter, EGR, EVAP, etc. All you need is for 2 monitors to be completed. In order for the ECU to actually run a particular readiness test- certain parameters have to be met in your style of driving. For example- for the EGR readiness monitor to run, you may need to be between 35-40 mph for 30 seconds followed by closed throttle decelleration down to 5mph. Any other driving such as constant freeway runs will never allow the ECU to run it's self test. The only way to do it is to vary your driving- keeping steady throttle and no heavy acceleration. It's pretty much a hit or miss if you can get the ECU to run it's readiness test. All you need is for 2 monitors to be completed to pass the OBDII functional test.

Joel, CA

Old 09-13-2006, 05:58 AM

Thanks very much everyone...i will reset the ecu by removing the battery for couple of min. and then test drive it to see if i get any response from the OBDII.

Quick Reply: NEED ADVISE PLEASE HELP